PRIVACY NIGHTMARE Google Chrome users urgently warned to delete browser NOW

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, Nov 8, 2021.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

GOOGLE Chrome users are being warned to delete the browser as soon as possible amid fears highly sensitive data is being harvested.

Phone data is reportedly at risk of being passed on without users even realizing it.

Forbes reports this latest Big Tech privacy nightmare could give users a reason to delete Chrome from their phones.

It comes as Facebook is being accused of mining peoples’ critical private data using accelerometer data as a means to pinpoint locations and quietly trail app users and monitor activities.

But Forbes cybersecurity writer Zak Doffman warned: “While Facebook was collecting this information for itself, Chrome is happy to collect it for others — essentially enabling a free-for-all when it comes to hugely sensitive information about your every activity, your every behaviour.”

Research, he said, had exposed how the browser allows mobile websites to tap into device sensors.

Apple disables motion sensor access as a default.

But Google not only allows access, but it also tells users this is a “recommended” setting to keep enabled, Mr Doffman said.

On Android, Chrome can be scrubbed by disabling the stock browser in settings.

Last month Google Chrome users were warned of "multiple high-level hacks of [the] browser" for the second time this week, reports say.

The tech giant advised its 2.6billion users to be aware in a new blog post, revealing four "high" rated vulnerabilities - days after discovering Chrome’s 12th and 13th "zero-day" exploits, reported Forbes.

A Google spokesperson to The Sun: “We intentionally limit the resolution of motion sensors in Chrome, and since 2019 we’ve had controls that allow users to block websites from accessing a device’s motion sensors altogether.

“We take user security and privacy seriously, and we’re always working on new ways to improve security and privacy in Chrome.”

Link to the Sun article:

https://www.the-sun.com/tech/4014419/google-chrome-delete-browser-now-heres-why-android/

OP note:
    It is easy to disable Chrome, at least in Android 11. Just go to the information screen, and click Disable.

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Using Chrome on mobile? That's like having unprotected nookie with the internet. No adblocking, nothing to protect your info.

Do not use, would not recommend. 0 out of 10.

Sent from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I saw the article mentioned that Apple disables the offending "feature" but does that also apply to Chrome on an iPhone? :vbconfused: I automatically thought that meant that Safari browser wasn't afflicted. Some family members (not me! :thumbsup: ) are using Chrome browser on iPhones, despite my best efforts at discouraging. :vbeek:

4. headcronie

The article leaves more questions than answers...

5. lelisa13p

So I should hold off passing on the info? I'm not sure that said parties would make the decision to dump Chrome based on that.

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  6. headcronie

I have no good answers. Only speculation. I also don't like data hungry browsers. So no matter the actual findings with Chrome on iOS, I'd never use it to begin with. There's a reason they want you to sign in with a Google account on Chrome. ;) Same with Microsoft Edge. ;)

7. lelisa13p

Same reason I don't use either of those. :newpalm:

And I also hate how they look and behave. :vbsmile:

8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

So what browser do you all recommend for Android? Is using Chrome on a Chromebook safe?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  9. headcronie

If you don't want to be tracked at all: Firefox Focus & DuckDuckGo
    If you want the ability to use extensions / addons: Firefox, Firefox Beta

I don't recommend Opera, as that's owned by a company within a country with increasingly strained relations with the US.
    Samsung Internet has pretty lousy privacy policies too, so I don't recommend that either.

Not sure what other browsers are out there, as I'm quite happy with my current selections.

Chrome Browser full desktop on ChromeOS may not face the same tracking issues as on Android, but it still has you logged in so that they can slurp your every single move across the interwebs. You're the product, and they're selling your every move. Yeah, you can use extensions / addons in Chrome, but that only does so much. See if you can load an Android browser alternative from the Play store. It won't be the full experience, but that's what you get when using such a restrictive OS.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Lifehacker give simple instructions for turning off the motion sensor in Chrome. For additional privacy, they recommend moving to something like Firefox, but understand a lot of people will continue using Chrome.