Prevous T|C Owner Looking for Crow Recipes...

Discussion in 'Palm' started by internetpilot, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Hiya everyone. Yup, it's the old diehard Palm Tungsten|C user -- what the heck is he doing in the 755p forum? Well....considering he was rather emphatic about "NEVER owning a convergence device", I suspect he's here looking for good recipes for crow, since he now owns a 755p.

I admit it -- I finally got tired of carrying around the Palm T|C, cell phone, and Creative Zen Vision media player. Just as I was wondering what to do about that, my wife brought home a 755p loaner/demo from work, and I was very impressed. The initial biggest impression was the phone reception, because at my new house I get zero reception on my Motorola i670, and yet the 755p had 3 bars.

So I liked the phone side, and then I started looking at the Palm side of this little thing. And little it is, because my T|C looks like a first generation Blackberry compared to the 755p:

[​IMG]

The first thing I noticed was NVFS and Garnet. Ugh. The Palm T|X lasted with me for all of about a month before I got completely fed up with NVFS and Garnet. My T|X seemed to be incompatible with itself, because most of the problems I encountered with it were traced back to Blazer and (especially) VersaMail. I ended up reselling the T|X and buying a second-hand T|C to get back to my comfort zone. This was quite a while ago, and I'm glad to report that I have encountered no such problems with the 755p.

So far, I'm very impressed with the 755p. It did behave a little weird when I first started putting all my 3rd party apps on it (yes, they're all NVFS compatible since the only one on my T|C that isn't -- the real AIM for Palm -- has a better replacement on the 755p ROM), but after installing everything, I performed a couple of soft resets myself and things have been running smooth (knock on wood) ever since. Whatever was initially going on, it self-corrected, which is the way I like it.

Things I miss from the T|C:

1. Full sized SD card slot (more on that later)
    2. My beautiful Vaja iVolution hard case (that's bring a tear to my eye)
    3. Larger screen (although same resolution)
    4. Better battery life (even when frequently using WiFi)
    5. Cradle (actually two of them!)
    6. Palm Universal Connector (I have a lot of PUC accessories)
    7. WiFi (but the phone and wireless broadband are an admitted nice consolation)
    8. Nice IR range for using NoviiRemote
    9. Mono sound (JUST KIDDING).

Things I like about the 755p:

1. Very bright and sharp screen
    2. Removable battery (this completely negates the lesser battery life)
    3. Stereo sound (I mean it this time)
    4. The textured finish on the casing
    5. Definitely reduces the amount of "crap" I have to carry around

Unlike my failed upgrade to the Palm T|X, the 755p upgrade has gone a lot smoother. I can only guess that Palm has corrected a few things since the T|X or I had a bad T|X. Here's what I have on my 755p so far:

- ZLauncher
    - Palmary Clock Wireless for Treo (love this app)
    - DateBk6 (Now I FINALLY have the new PIMs, and I still like using this better)
    - eReader Pro
    - Pocket-Tunes (latest version 3.XX -- haven't felt the need for 4.XX)
    - NoviiRemote (although I don't know why since the IR range is pitiful!)
    - YAPS
    - TCPMP
    - FileZ
    - NVBackup (what an awesome app -- thanks for vouching for it, everyone)
    - MiniTones
    - Fish Tycoon
    - Snails

So far for hardware/accesories I have (or it's coming):
    - Two 2GB Mini SD cards (FYI, there's a really good deal on these at Buy.com HERE)
    - OEM Palm Hard Case for Treo
    - OEM Palm Cradle for the Treo (loving that extra battery charge drawer)
    - ClariVue screen protector
    - Boxwave Battery Adapter Pro (left over from the T|C before I found a PUC based Palm Power to Go)

Since I'm rather new to this Treo thing (and the Treo does seem to be a whole new thing with all the dedicated Treo this and that over all the other PDA-only Palms), anyone have any recommendations for any other must-have accessories or software?

For memory cards, I ended up buying a Micro SD card that came with both standard size and Mini SD size adapters for just $14 (and it includes a USB card reader). I'm admittedly annoyed by the 755p having a Mini SD card slot instead of a standard SD card slot, primarily because how many Mini SDHC cards have you seen? I've seen one -- a 4GB one, and it's ridiculously overpriced compared to a 4GB standard size SDHC card. Oh, well. Micro SD cards seem to be more popular, so I was able to find a 2GB one that was just too good of deal to pass up. With the screen being a nice resolution but smaller, that makes it a dense display (pixels closer together so looks sharper), so I can get away with lesser quality movie conversions, which will keep the size of the movie files down to a minimum, so two 2GB cards should do me fine for a while. I just have a bunch of regular sized SD cards that I wish I could use in the 755p, but...technology moves on, and I must move with it.

Well, I hope you all can accept a stubborn T|C convert in the 755p forum. I promise I won't leave the table until I'm done eating all my crow (please pass the ketchup!). It does make me feel a little better seeing some other previous holdouts have apparently moved on to the 755p, too. So far I'm having a lot of fun with this little 755p, and don't have any problem recommend it to other T|C holdouts. I was starting to get a little anxious since I really didn't see an upgrade path from my T|C, so now I'm all happy in Palm land again.

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I think TC to Treo is a logical step. I used to wonder why Palm didn't just take a slightly wider Treo, take out the phone, give it wifi and call it the TC2. My only problem with convergence is phone contract.

By the way, my Tx is still going strong. Had some drama here and there, but is running fne thanks to usedpdaparts.com. :)

3. internetpilot

I definitely liked the free WiFi of the T|C, but things were different way back then, and although I'm not a Donald Trump now, at this time I can definitely afford to just buy into a monthly unlimited Internet phone plan and call it a day. It's getting harder and harder to find a free WiFi connection anyway, so it's not too much different than buying into a WiFi plan of some sort, except the T|C is more limited by the availability of access points.

I'll miss the T|C -- I'm currently trying to think of ways to convince my wife that I don't need to sell it on eBay. Letting it become my full-time Universal Remote Control for my various audio/video electronics comes to mind.... ;)

Glad to hear your T|X is still working for you. I *REALLY* wanted to like the T|X, but it just didn't work out for me. It's a pretty PDA, and the screen is gorgeous.

4. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

You know I'm SO happy that it has finally arrived!!! Every time I've opened the 755p subforum, I've looked for this post. :p

I'm glad you're enjoying the transition, I knew that you would! The reception is remarkable and I'm still blown away at how it beats my Razr in that regard.

I forgot to tell you I have that same cradle with the extra battery charger included. It is, indeed, a very nice feature. While I'm still functioning quite well with the stock battery, I anticipate buying the Seidio extended battery later on. I'm still pissed with them right now, quite frankly, for not creating a black door for us Alltel users while darn near breaking their necks to get a green door out for Verizon users. :mad: BUT...I digress. :p

I will happily follow along in this thread and hope that your joys with this device continue as mine have. :newpalm:

5. Vishalca

Vishalca University PDA-er

Wow Chris, it's ironic that you are posting this right as I am about to purchase a Treo 680 as an upgrade to my TC! Your post was very informative, and it is easing my worries about whether or not most apps will work on the 680. That comparison pic speaks marvels about the Treo form factor; it literally makes the TC look like a blimp. When I was looking for an upgrade from the TC (the Wifi got busted when I replaced the battery), one thing I realized I could not live without was the built-in keyboard. Having that tactile response speeds typing so much more than any iPhone or TX could possibly do. Having said that, I noticed that the keyboard on the 755 is smaller than the TC (or at least appears that way because the keyboard curves upwards on the 755); how is typing on the 755? Are the keys as reponsive, and are they spacious enough to go fast? One thing I am looking forward to, should I get the 680, is the backlit keyboard. How bright is it in dark?

This is an exciting move; just like you, I am happy to be staying in Palm land for a while to come.

6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

*jaw agape*

Wow, I'm impressed. Congrats on joining the converged side. :)

7. Ohappydaye

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm using my TX in the way you spoke of considering your TC...as a universal wireless remote around my home. I'm sure I'll find some other uses for her, she's such a great gal! :D :newpalm: Rock solid and never gave me a day's trouble. :)

8. Genjinaro

Genjinaro ~3rdPrty 4ehvur!~

LOL, remote eh? Thats not a bad idea. :D All it does now is collect dust and is subject to frequent "Red O" abuse...:(

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Ohappydaye

Yea, but out of loyalty I still carry it with me every where I go. It's in my purse relaxing in it's sexy Vaja case longing to be touched. Dang, now I feel guilty. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. internetpilot

Thanks, OHD!

Yeah, for those not in the know, when I first started researching the 755p (I of course came directly to the Brighthand forums!), and what did I see? Ohappydaye the T|X gal with a 755p???!!! Then I knew it was destiny for sure! Of course, I PM'ed her first to ask if she had found any good crow recipes, because we were both adamantly rejecting the idea of convergence devices for the longest time!

I take it they have a blue door. I guess that's another positive for the blue 755p (in addition to being Dallas Cowboy colors -- thanks again, OHD!), even though I really wanted the burgundy one. Sprint claims that the 755p is only made in one color: Blue. I guess they figure that I ain't got no new fangled internet connection thingie that allows me to go to www.palm.com and see four different colors, duh.

Let's keep our fingers crossed -- I was a real black cloud in the T|X forum! So far the 755p has done much better for me.

Thanks again for being the trailblazing anti-convergence device person that you are, OHD! By the by, have you tried the crow chili recipe yet? It taste better as a leftover, of course.... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.