Pretty simple ?-one-way sync or no?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by philgrin, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philgrin

philgrin Mobile Deity

As a former TX person, I find the Apple forums somewhat difficult to traverse. I have a simple question. When I sync my iPhone with Outlook, is the sync one-way; i.e., when finished will the Outlook contacts mirror what was on the iPhone or will the iPhone mirror what was on Outlook Contacts? I am trying to delete crap from the phone and don't want it to reappear.

Also, though nobody asked, Pocket Copy did a hell of a job on my original move of Contacts and Notes/Memos to the iPhone.

Thanks.

2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I never sync my iPhone with outlook (I have a mac but I use Google Sync for my calendar/contacts), but from my experience when I sync'd with iCal:

-The iPhone and iCal/Address Book compared to each other.
    -A pop-up appeared telling me there was a conflict and asking me which was correct.
    -I indicated the correct version.
    -Sync went on to the next item, etc.

So I don't think it's a one-or-the-other kind of thing. More like if there's a major change or conflict the iPhone/Outlook should throw up a "Which is right" type message for you.

3. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

QF is correct, as usual,;) I do not use Outlook but usually if I delete something on my iPhone, when I sync iTunes will tell me about it. Especially if you delete a lot of things.

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Eh, I'm usually only partly right, if ever. :)

Philgrin, since Brickman and I aren't positive how Outlook/iTunes combine, why don't you try syncing one thing, changing it, see what happens, etc.

Better to test it now than find out it is different than you thought after a mass of changes.

5. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

When you run iTunes and plug in your iPhone, select your iPhone in the device list on the left of the screen. The screen changes to the device summary screen with 9 tabs at the top, select the last one called Info. Here is where you setup what gets synced, scroll down to the last section 'Advanced', it lets you do a 'PC overwrites iPhone' sync for one or all of the PIM info. Just use the Outlook to delete all of the crap and sync with this overwrite.

6. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Apple uses metadata to manage the sync and one type of metadata is "deleted". So if you delete something intentionally, that intent is noted and the item will be deleted on the synced device or app. If something bad happens and the data gets deleted WITHOUT intent, the notification isn't there and the data will be synced.

Of course, the process isn't perfect, and that's why there is the option to select the direction of sync, as Josser pointed out, and conflict notifications, as QF pointed out.

I sync my info with MobileMe and have the prefs set to keep the data with the most recent modification date (which includes deletion date) and to notify me if more than 5% of the data changes.

7. philgrin

philgrin Mobile Deity

Thanks for the assistance. I am pretty well set now. My next issue will be, when I get there, how to add in a raft of Word documents I have. Not to change, just to have as reference.

8. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

I have used two. (besides Docs To Go and QuickOffice) One was FileMagic and the other was AirShare. Both great for Filing and Viewing all kinds of Docs. Both worked with WiFi.

A quick search through iTunes though and you will find tons to choose from.;)

9. philgrin

philgrin Mobile Deity

Thanks again to all. Brickman: This is really simplistic - where, if I'm using Docs to Go or whatever, on the iPhone do I store these beauties? I was able to e-mail to myself one of the docs, as an attachment, and it showed up, with photo, in my mail. Obviously don't want to mail myself all (many animal fact sheets) these and not know where to place them.

10. DTM

DTM ---

Each app has its own storage area and its own way of getting things there. In the case of DTG, there is a desktop application that allows you to designate files on the desktop to sync to the iPhone, and the phone app puts them in a folder it creates for the purpose in its storage area. Others are similar. Pretty transparent within an app. But be advised that you cannot share documents between apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.