Pre vs Android for reading newspapers

Discussion in 'Palm Pre and Pre Plus' started by leenman, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leenman

leenman Unter-Geek

I've looked at a Pre and have been reading about the Pre 2. Looked at a few Androids.

Overall, the Pre wins hands down for me, except for one problem: the Pre's browser doesn't seem to figure out where newspaper columns are and rejustify them as you zoom in and out, whereas the Android does.

Am I right about that?

If yes, then that's too bad, cause I really like the rest of the Pre, but not being able to read a newspaper without constantly fidgeting with the screen (moving back and forth, etc.) is a deal breaker for me.

Also, when I go to the NY Times their site doesn't seem to recognize the Pre as a mobile device and just loads the whole paper. This is even if I type in the NY Times mobile address (The New York Times ). My Treo has no problem accessing the NYTimes mobile site. Am I missing something?

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I'm afraid I can't help you with this problem as I know next to nothing about the Pre but could you share why it wins hands down? I'm interested in both platforms but there's precious few WebOS devices out there for comparison.

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'd also think that reading on a 3.2 inch screen would be annoying compared to 4 inches or larger.

4. leenman

leenman Unter-Geek

My reason is simple (and maybe simplistic): getting around on the Pre is easier than Android. Palm has designed the OS and the phone's size so you perform most tasks with one hand just using your thumb. Android is a little trickier.

Android has a wide vareity of phones to choose from and the hardware is superior to the Pre's. But I'm really interested in using a Smartphone for: information, reading, listening to music, and organization, and maybe some small amount of video viewing. And I want to get into and out of the task quickly.

From what I can tell, Pre does these better in most cases. I agree with Varjak that reading on the small screen might get tiresome, but I don't plan to read books, just newspapers. Right now I do that on a Treo 680 and it don't really find it annoying.

But if the Pre can't justify an article, then I would constantly have to fidget with it just to get through an article. No can do.

5. leenman

leenman Unter-Geek

Another thing I would really like is to be able to quickly look up a word. Would be great to have an on-board dictionary app open while reading (I don't like the web dictionaries I've seen). With Pre's card system, it would be a snap to find the word in the dictionary and get back to reading.

6. LandSurveyor

I'm still waiting on HP to come out with some more devices. Both the Pre and Pixi are physically just too small for me.

I hear so many good things about WebOS. Would like for them to produce some sort of 4" pop-tart for a more apples-to-apples comparison with Android devices.

7. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

I don't know a lot about WebOS other than what I hear. The impression I have is that multitasking in the Pre has programs running on cards you slide back and forth without leaving the programs. Please correct me, I'm sure I don't have a good grip on this.

In Android, multi-tasking is also pretty straight forward. One program is in the forground but you can quickly switch to any other program by holding the Home button which makes a panel of other running and recently visited apps appear allowing you to swich to that. Repeat to switch back.

I'm not sure I see a huge advantage in either way of doing things, although it may be slightly faster and one or two fewer clicks using the WebOS method.

I'm not questioning your preferences, just actually trying to understand since I know so little about WebOS.

8. leenman

leenman Unter-Geek

9. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

To the main question, double clicking an article in WebOS should zoom you to the column width. I just tested it on my Pre. There are some sites that load inexplicably to the full site and not mobile. Enabling homebrew on the Pre is wise and with that, you can get a simple mod to change the user agent to iPhone. The setting for mobile site is on the server side, not the phone's. Also, there is a New York Times app available for the Pre (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.nytimes.reader

Having used both now as my main phone, I would take WebOS over Android everyday and twice on Sunday. WebOS is the least in-the-way OS available today, and Android the most. Opening a task manager, finding the spare stuff that Android has opened, it just takes more energy from me to run Android. I find things like games shut down in the background when I leave them to do something else - this would never happen on WebOS.

That being said, I made the change because the hardware for the Pre simply isn't up to a reasonable level. If the Pre 2 had been released, I would have been all about it. It hit the spots I saw as major shortcomings. Google's integration with Android is very nice, and it is nice to have a wider array of apps. I find I miss several apps which are not available on Android, so Apps are a bit of a wash.

Trust me when I say, I know of no bigger WebOS fan than myself, and I could not bring myself to buy a Pre to replace mine when it faltered. I can't recommend a Pre until better hardware is out.

10. LandSurveyor

HP, are you listening??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.