Power On/Off Button Failing! Looking for alternative.

Discussion in 'Palm TX' started by ward.smith, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

The power button on the Tx has always been problematic at best. You have to press it just right to get it to work. I have habitually used that button on all of my palms to power on and off. I am now in the habit of using one of the hard buttons, typically favorites. I have the other buttons set to open my most useful apps.

Unfortunately, you must use the power button to power off and it is not working well. I just downloaded the following apps to test to power off: Off_Info
    Off
    OffitPalm
    OffStroke

I really want to find an alternative before my power button actually dies. I could exchange my Tx, but it is so very stable that I am unwilling to do that.

Anyone out there using any of these want to share their experiences? Anyone out there using a different app that they really like.

I will definitely report back on my experiences and would love to hear yours.

2. rkhanso

rkhanso Mobile Evangelist

Why do you have to use the power button to power it off?

Just let the timeout do it for you. Set it to your choice: 30sec, 1min, 2min, 3min.

I just got mine, but rarely turn it off manually.

3. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

You may find this thread of interest!;)

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

mykbd comes with the ability to map power off to a spot you can tap in the dia with your stylus. the cost is $15.

get mykbd if you are interested in:

dia skins (mykbd replaces myskin), third home button alternative, numeric keypad visible while using graffiti for letters, hex keyboards, qwerty keyboard with number row, dia hotspot for poweroff (though i think you must use one of the replacement keyboards to get the power off hotspot)

5. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

I have always used the power button sparingly. I mainly use a hard button to turn it on and the power button on Z launcher (bottom bar ? far right for me) to turn the unit off. If you already own Z launcher, this option is free. If you do not own Z launcher ? you should ;)

6. PalmOSFan

PalmOSFan iPhone stunt-driver

When I bought my TX about a month ago, I immediately noticed what a pain it was to turn on and off (given the recessed power button that takes about 125 lbs of downward pressure from the tip of your finger or some other pointy object).

To solve this problem, I carefully cut a small piece of neoprene material from a watch case I had. This foamy material is far easier on my fingertips, yet still stiff enough to allow for pressing the power button on and off. Just a tiny dab of superglue to secure it over the power button was all I needed, and viola -- no more off/on issues. Hope this helps.

7. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

My button is actually failing so changing the button structure will not solve my problem. The thread was really interesting though and looks like a great option for those who have a problem pushing it.

My graffiti skills are quite good and I own a BT keyboard so I am really not intested in mykbd. I am also looking at free apps that can accomplish what I want.

I frequetly have my Tx set to never go off because of many of the things that I am doing. I never have it set for less than 3 minutes. That is a long time to wait for it to power off and would not work for my usage.

Zlauncher is obviously a great app but I do not want to pay for it for that function. I used to be a SS user but have gone back to using and actually liking favorites. I have over 90 non-native apps installed and do not really need to invest in another launcher although I have considered it more than once.

I did look closely at 3 of the 4 apps I listed above. I did not look at Off_Info bcause that was the only app that cost money, and you could not even look at it without registering it.

OffStroke allows you to turn off your Tx with either a stroke or a tap. I could never get the tap function to work and the stroke function was not 100% reliable so I deleted this app from my Tx.

I really liked both Off and OffItPalm. They are both very complimentary so I will keep both on my Palm. OffIt is a great app that turns your Tx off when you open it. I have it on Page 1 of favorites but you could obviously wire it to a hard button which I might do down the line. Off puts an icon in the command bar. When you open the command bar and tap on the off icon, your Tx goes off. Both are very elegent little apps and are a welcome addtion to my Tx. I highly recommend both!

8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Also, re: offit, if you hold down the home key you get a list of your more recently used apps. I find this is the best way to use offit, as I can pop up the menu and select offit from wherever I am in my palm w/out returning to the home screen...

9. rrfranczak3

rrfranczak3 Very Old Senior Member

10. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Good idea. You are definitely 1 step ahead of me.

I find that I actually use Off more because a command stroke is so quick, easy, and accessible. I really love both apps.

11. ramonaquimby

ramonaquimby total novice - bear w/me

is there a program that can turn the palm *on* besides the power button? hitting the center of the 5way is simply too difficult/takes too much effort - and brings up the clock. i just want a true substitute fo rhte on button. any ideas? :)

12. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

Check out my posting on some programs of interest.

I personally just set my Messaging button on the Treo 650 to bring up Switch5's list of apps (obviously I've installed and set Switch5 on my Messaging button to have that work). Not a big deal for me and it will turn on the Palm and if no apps are in the list, I simple tap elsewhere to ignore it and do whatever I want. I normally tap on Applications which is essentially the same as Home.

13. n2ho

n2ho Mobile Enthusiast

My Palm lately developed the same problem with power button and I decided to open it up and look inside with the hope that I will be able to repair it somehow. The process of opening is shown very well here (video):
    http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=RD
    (they call it Tungsten TX) and it was really simple. But replacing this tiny switch is not a simple task unless you have an experience to deal with multilayer board and surface mounting components and the right switch to install.
    Here is what I did.
    I took 100% isopropyl alcohol (do not use rubbing alcohol, it has 30% of water!) and placed tiny drop on the top of the switch while pressing it on/off several times, then repeat the same procedure again and again observing alcohol penetrating inside the switch. I let then the unit dry out for a couple of hours, assembled it and voila - switch works just fine like new!
    If you would like to try this:
    1. Take off just the back cover and top bezel, don't extract the board from the case. Be careful with the switch - it soldered to the board and supported by plastic case of Palm which holds switch in place, otherwise you risk to break switch off the board by pressing on it.
    2. It is winter now so be careful, static electricity is very high and can destroy the unit, so don't touch anything inside unless you ground yourself up.
    3. Do it on your own risk and I wouldn't recommend other chemicals except mentioned above alcohol, any type of contact cleaner could destroy plastic part of the switch.
    Hope it helps.

Regards,
    George

14. wcwood

wcwood "I'm sorry. What?"

On the TX, any of the front function buttons will power it ON. I usually use the left menu button.

As for turning it OFF, because I've read so many bad stories about worn-out main power button, I started just letting the TX time out and turn itself off. Of course, this costs me some battery time, but I haven't found that it's affecting battery-usage in a noticeable way.

15. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I Power On with the first hard button (Home) and installed Hop to Power Off using a long button press on the same button. I have Hop configured only to turn off using Button 1; everything else I set to Do Nothing so as not to conflict with other apps/buttons.

16. ramonaquimby

ramonaquimby total novice - bear w/me

wow - i just discovered "Power Button" or is it "PwrBtn"? can't remember, but it's great - simple and straight to the point. make any of your front TX keys into an on/off button. SO MUCH BETTER than teh true power button. i recommend it highly! :)

now i've got: power button, offstroke, and zlauncher power off all on my device. it's perfect! :)

17. dogbarber

dogbarber No one in particular...

Coming along nicely you are....

18. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I have been using PowerBtn for several months now. I use to use Au dodo but I prefer PowerBtn. PowerBtn was just updated and you can now do a hard reset with it. It can also be activivated in way that allows you to turn you Tx off by opening it. Finally it can live on your Tx as an app or be transfered to the Pref Panel. It is a very versitile app for free. I never use my power button now.

19. Genjinaro

Genjinaro ~3rdPrty 4ehvur!~

LOL my power button usually fails to turn "on" my Palm TX.
    Ive been hitting my SD card everytime it happens.

In saying that, will my power button fail to function at all or is it just acting stupid?

20. shawnlux

shawnlux Used PDA Parts Rep.

Here is how you fix your power buttons. That is if it has actually separated from the board. If it has not then just give it a little upward pressure to realign the button. If it has completely fallen away then follow the directions below or just send it to us for repair.

With the right tools it is not difficult to re-solder the power button to the PCB. All you need is a pencil solder, helping hands, and a magnifier. Here is how you do it:

1. Take the Torx #5 screws out to the back of the TX.
    2. Pull apart the back of the case.
    3. Remove the molex cable that attaches the PCB (printed circuit board) to the LCD.
    4. Remove the PCB
    5. Place the PCB into your helping hands so that you can easily see the power button at the top of the PCB.
    6. Hold the power button in place and solder the four points back down to the PCB. You do not need to add any additional solder! There is plenty there.
    7. Re-attach the molex cable to the back of the LCD.
    8. Put the PCB back in the case.
    9. Re-assemble.
    10. Go have a beer for a job well done!

I hope this helps.