Posting issues...

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by Varjak, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Has anyone else been experiencing a delay in posting on BH? It actually started for me last week; but I thought I'd let it go a bit and see what happens. It's still going. When I post, the 'circling icon,' spins for about 30 seconds. I was wondering if this was just happening to me, or whether this was the site. It HAS happened in the past, when others seemed to have the same experience.

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Same here.
    Also when opening a link it can take a while the past days (not always but most of the time).

I'll alert the A-team ;)

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Could be related to the Search problems that have returned today. (Andrew's explanation of possible cause is in that thread.)

4. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

That might indeed explain it.
    Link here for those interested ;)

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thanks for linking, H. :) I knew that I forgot something... ;)

6. Andrew

Andrew Mobile Deity

If people continue to see issues with posting (30 second times to post is NOT normal) then please reply to this thread, I'll keep an eye.

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

Thanks for the link, H.

I've gotten a bit frustrated with bh searching at times and I wonder if I could have found it without the link. My most common use of search is "today's posts" but I have found that if I search for something specific it eludes me. I'll give it another try now that Andrew's gone back to the "old" "new" search engine.

I'm curious... Does the engine require a cron job to run to keep it updated? If it slows down the server, can the indexing cron job be run on a different box over nfs? Can the cron job interval be increased? I don't think I'd mind if posts made since the last time the cron job ran (1 hour? 1 day?) were not indexed as long as everything that is a day or so old or older was indexed. A disclaimer on the search page that gives the time cron was most recently run should clear up any confusion about why new things aren't yet searchable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.