Podcatching software required - recommendations please

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by CEB, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneHandClapping

OneHandClapping Where is my Zen?

I know you are looking for a free program, but I can definately recommend http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/nw/newsbreak.php. You can tell it have many of each podcast to keep, and you can import feeds, cut and paste, etc. Give the trial a try. It can also be set to download them automatically.

2. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks JR and OneHandClapping.

After my last post, I found Newsbreak and tried it out. I like it, except it's I can't configure it to keep all podcasts without it downloading all the back-podcasts in each feed (that's 50 podcasts for one feed, and my ISP will have a fit because each week's podcasts are about 1GB). Another annoyance is that it stores the podcasts in a directory (which can't be specified) with a Newsbreak filename, not the podcast filename, so I can't tell what the podcasts is.

Anyhow, my hunt continues... I'll try NewsGator if I don't like the current one I'm trying, BeyondPod, which is freeware and has a nice YouTube video showing how it works.

I sound really fussy with all the things I dislike about the suggestions. Perhaps I am, but I like something that works just right for me. Hope others can gain something from this thread too.

Thanks again.

3. OneHandClapping

OneHandClapping Where is my Zen?

When you are viewing a feed, goto --> Menu --> Channel Properties --> Podcast (Last Tab on lower right) --> There you can specify how many podcast to keep from that feed.

I hope that helps. I agree that there is not a perfect podcast program out there yet, but NewsBreak comes close.

4. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks.

I'm a day into testing BeyondPod, and so far I like it. I found the settings for how many podcasts to download in that siftware. That's not an ideal solution as it downloads some podcasts that I've already heard. Ideally, as a new user, it would have been nice to specify that no 'back' podcasts be download, only new one
    from now.

Anyhow, my pda has been downloading like mad so it will give plenty of testing material as I check which I've heard and delete them.

One big benefit is that it allows me to stop listening part way through a podcast, and lets me listen to another, while keeping track of where I was on each podcast.

I'll let you know what I think when I finish testing.

5. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

I think the search is over. By far the best software I've tried is BeyondPod at http://www.codeplex.com/beyondpod.

Although there are a couple of features I would like to see (which aren't available in any of the other applications I've tried either), this has loads of features and functionality I love.

Just to add to the benefits, it's free and open source.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions. :cool:

6. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Just a further update. I like BeyondPod even more now. I posted a bug report on their forums this morning, plus a couple of suggestions for improvements. They were clearly ahead of me, as a Beta version was released earlier in the day that fixed the bug and addressed one of my suggestions. As I said on their support forum, this is 'software as it should be' and 'software support as it should be' :newpalm:

7. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Minister of Awesome

Excellent. Glad you found something that clearly works for you.

8. Btate0121

Btate0121 Mobile Deity

i'm convinced! i'm downloading this now to give it a go.

9. s0ldier93

s0ldier93 PDA Pilot

Nice thread. Do any of these suggestions handle video podcasts?

10. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Mobile Enthusiast

I realize this may be a silly question but how do I go about installing this software. I downloaded it but the only option seems to be to place it in my documents. Id I then move it to the device manually? And then open the software. I am new to windows mobile.

Thanks in advance. Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.