Podcatching software required - recommendations please

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by CEB, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Hello again.

I now have my 4GB MicroSD HC in my Tilt (Vario III). I would like a free (or very very cheap) podcatcher to run on the Tilt overnight to download podcasts and video podcasts and store them on the MicroSD.

Do you have any recommendations please?

2. DrQuincy

DrQuincy Mobile Evangelist

3. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks DrQuincy. I'm installing pRSS Reader now.

4. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Unfortunately, every time I exit the program, it deletes all the imported feeds.

I'm having one of those days :rolleyes:

5. DrQuincy

DrQuincy Mobile Evangelist

I remember having this problem. The last release did bot handle OPMLs with folders. I have been using a beta version, but I eliminated the folder structure in my feed list after losing my feeds, so I have not tested it.

6. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

I have installed Egress on 30 days trial. Looks good. Only $12 with lifetime updates. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

7. lulugirl896

lulugirl896 Newbie

8. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks for the recommendation lulugirl896, but I'm having some success with Egress at the moment. At the weekend I will use my old Juice to see what I would have downloaded on that, and compare it to what Egress has DL'ed to make sure I'm not missing anything. If I've got everything, then Egress gets another customer.

9. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

I'm getting frustrated with this. I'm very grateful for the recommendations, but this software just doesn't work as it should.

I had been happy enough with Egress, but found myself believing that I was doing something wrong. Turns out it wasn't me. No matter how I delete a podcast (File Explorer, or through Egress itself by tapping and holding and selecting delete or deleting that feed item), some podcasts are re-downloaded. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete some podcasts without having them re-appear again later.

Other niggles I could have lived with are:
    You have to manually select each new feed to download podcasts; there's no global setting for it
    Double-tapping a feed item sometimes launched IE to take you to the download feed, but there doesn't seem to be an option to single-tap to open that feed item to view what it is.

Okay, so I downloaded Pocket Podcasts (Pocket PC version). There's no way to import an OPML file. Okay, I'll manually copy and paste the feeds, I thought. But, the software doesn't even have a paste function; the OS'es tap and hold, then select Paste, even that doesn't work. I currently listen to 16 podcasts and I add and remove more all the time, and these feed URLs are not easy to type in. Surely even the most basic software should have the Paste facility. Their link for support doesn't load a page, and their blog hasn't been updated for two years.

Surely the must be at least one piece of podcatching software out there that works properly ????

Looks like I might have to go back to running Juice on my PC and using MicroSoft's SyncToy to copy the podcasts directly to the MicroSD card :-(

10. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Minister of Awesome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.