Pocket Tunes

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Palm OS)' started by Varjak, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I upgraded to P-Tunes 5.1 and it mostly went smoothly. I took some time to scan the on-line manual and will do so more today; but I had some quick questions that didn't appear to be covered:

1. The podcast function is new (to me). I see that one can have pTunes automatically retrieve podcasts at a specific time; but I wanted to know if my LifeDrive will automatically disconnect WiFi after it's finished (or possibly even during the downloads). One thing that never made sense to me about the LD's WiFi prefs is that I can't understand why it turns itself off if the browser is being used actively. I usually have my pref set to 10 minutes; but even if I'm in the middle of browsing, the WiFi will turn off. On the other hand, I WANT it to turn off if the LD is inactive.

2. Also, I didn't see any options for where the podcasts would be stored. SD card? Internal hard drive?

3. The other thing I noticed is that pTunes sets just about EVERY format to default to pTunes. Has anyone had conflicts with this, say with TCPMP, Kinoma, etc.? I think I'm going to uncheck ALL of those boxes (Normsoft ought to provide a single box to uncheck all of those formats by the way). That way, I can manually choose files from pTunes itself.

Any other tips, suggestions, etc. appreciated. Thanks.

2. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

The podcast function bugs me on my PC computer. I have to turn off Quicktime so I can download mp3 podcasts.

So glad to see you are trying a new version of Pocket tunes. Keep us posted on where mp3 podcasts get downloaded onto a lifedrive (or is it a flashdrive?)

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Have you got any podcast recommendations? From what I can see, the Palm will DIRECTLY download podcasts OTA, without the desktop, no?

4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Garrison Keeler's Prairie Home Companion, Science Friday (both NPR) and Quirks and Quarks (CBC).

I used to do a ton of podcatching, downloading them with Juice and then loading them onto the SD card to listen to on ptunes. Not only was it a pain to do, but a couple of the podcasts I listened to changed their naming conventions, so it was harder for me to see what the segment was about at a glance before listening, and I basically quit them altogether for the past year. OTA direct to my Palm definitely would have made life better.

Now I've got a podcatcher on winmo, so I'm starting to dig through and find my old podcasts again. If you want more recommendations, I can swing back by once I've had a chance to dig through some directories (next weekend).

Most of my stuff was Science and Tech, video games and scifi. I'll probably dig around this time and try and see if there might be any standup comedy in podcast format, as well as political roundtables and nonfiction book reviews/interviews.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

The podcast function is a bit clunky. I was told that if I wanted the podcasts to go to my hard drive, I needed to pull the SD card out of my LifeDrive. Once podcasts get designated to a place (drive, card, etc.) all of them go there. It would be much better if there were some flexibility in handling these things; as I do swap cards on occasion, and will continue to do so until I get a larger card.

6. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Get Alex Pruss's excellent AutoWifi. It turns wifi on for programs that need it, and off when they end. That should take care of your first problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.