Pocket Informant for Android (PIA) public Beta version 1.50 available.

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Extracted this from a post I made buried in a more general thread. I thought it deserved an annoucement.

WebIS has just released a new public beta of Pocket Informant for Android (PIA),version 1.50, which is available for download here:

PI Android 1.5 Public Beta - WebIS, Inc. Forums

It is very stable, now syncs with Google tasks as well as Toodledo, has some very nice UI improvements, etc. No contacts or notes yet, nor direct sync with Outlook, but those are being worked on (no time table, but I'm guessing 2012). While it is in beta, it is not available in the Android Market, only for direct download (you can install it right over your market version). As a time-expiring beta, folks who haven't bought PIA can use it as a free trial version until it is released to the market (I believe. I haven't actually tested this.)

They are really doing this right, even though I'm impatient for contacts and Outlook sync. They are developing it in increments, then refining and polishing the increment, then moving on the the next increment. I have a lot of faith in these folks to get it right.

By the way, if you have a honeycomb tablet, apparently you get a very nice tabbed spiral planner interface out of this. ;)

2. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Mobile Evangelist

I wish the Outlook sync was out now. I have an iPod touch 3G (PIM no camera and phone). I want a charge but want to use both devices where I can.M

P.S. I thought Outlook web sync was supposed to come out with 1.5. I have 4 years in PI I imported from my TX. :rolleyes:

3. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Nope, not yet. Alex, quite rightly, makes no promises for a timeline for any new feature. He did at one time talk about version 1.1 as a goal, but that version never appeared. The version for iPod (2.0?) does have Outlook sync now, I believe.

Alex has stated over an over that there is little advantage for a new OS for having developed in another. It is always like starting over.

4. biker128pedal

I use it now with the iPod touch i an typing on now. It works pretty good. I plan to kep this for the work environment. The iPhone would be the easy smarty phone to get but I want a charge for the much better/usable DTG. Oh this will be fun straddling the Apple and Google line.

Thanks for the good information.

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

I have Pocket Informant on my iPhone 4. I held out for a long time but decided I like the features. I don't use it that often but I do like the fact it uses the standard data so everything I view or change in PI is reflected elsewhere such as on my iPad or my Mac. I would think this is what they will do with the Android version so you aren't dealing with some sort of gimpy special sync or shadow databases. Some 3rd party PIM apps are rather clueless in this regard and insist on keeping data in their own little world where it isn't sync'd with your main data (remember 3rd party conduits in Palm OS? Yuck).

6. biker128pedal

PIA would be nice. I will use it more on my Touch so I may be able to wait or get by with something. MyphoneExplorer looks interesting. The iPhone is so temping because I cold basically clone the two devices. But that is too easy. :newpalm:

7. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Much appreciated, Pirate. It's indeed relevant enough.

8. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

I think I might re-try it. I have been using Business Calendar, and then was blessed enough to get the Pro version free off the Amazon Appstore.

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Lifehacker