Plucker and the News... on my Palmie TX

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by Glennski, Dec 20, 2013.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

What is the link depth setting? It should be 1. I'm convinced this has nothing to do with security. I think what's happening has more to do with a minor change to the article urls. Skip the front page. Just download each section. Now, open a section and try each of the article links. My guess is they'll work, and if so, you might need to reprogram the front page to only download articles that are in the first section, rather than links to articles in other sections.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Edit; I articulated that poorly. Basically, I think the front section is downloading the entire NYT, hence the 100MB. But, you're only getting links to articles contained within the front section. Maybe change the link depth to 0 for the front section. You should still be downloading each of the other sections independently.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Have you tried linking through the Today's Paper links? That way you'd get most of the paper at least.

3. Glennski

Glennski How Little I Know -Bucky

Thanks everyone on the thread!!! Love y'all!

The news for my Palmie situation is now mostly good: I got around to implementing the suggestion about NPR. NPR works beautifully with link depth "1". I had not tried it before via plucker/sunrise and this is really great that my problem with New York Times has now given me a nice new news source using the NPR link! :D:D:D Foolish person that I am, I had to change to link depth back to 1 for NPR, because link depth 2 was something like a quarter gigabyte!:eek:

NYT is still on the fritz---methinks they've made minor changes at their end for whatever reason. Due to their minor changes that's why I now have GIGO problems at my end.:p

But, I will try the excellent suggestions about modifying link depth :thumbsup:and also using more specific NYT urls until I get to the bottom of it.

Long live the Palm TX, sez me!!! :hi2: THANKS Brighthanders once again!!!

Gski

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  4. EdmundDantes

They just recently changed the whole format of the Times (after your original post though), which might make matters worse (or even better).

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

NYT may have changed their main site, but the mobile site doesn't seem to have changed. Just click the links I posted above -- if they work for you, they should work for SunriseXP. Using the mobile site links in SunriseXP should continue working as always. I'm dumbfounded about the problems and wish I had my TX running to test this.

6. EdmundDantes

I didn't mean to suggest your method didn't work. My old bookmarks and such work, so I assume the file structure hasn't changed much. Just thought I'd mention it.