PLUCK!!!!

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by RevZach, Feb 20, 2016.

1. RevZach

RevZach Mobile Consultant

Okay, I'm super frustrated over here. After the aforementioned "HandStory" debacle, in which I purchased a software package that was supposed to convert any format into readable Palm databases, I decided to give Plucker a try. I've been hearing about it for thirteen years, and assume it must be pretty good.

HOWEVER...

Each and every web page I try to convert gives me the error:
    Error: Runtime error parsing document http://hackthesystem.com/blog/the-1...-their-commitments-and-dont-form-good-habits/: unexpected char in declaration: '<'

Doesn't matter how simple or complex the original page is. What the crap??? Why is it basically impossible to view simple blog posts on my palm. I used to do it with ease using AvantGo, but that's no longer an option....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JRakes likes this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I believe Jigwashere is pretty good with Plucker.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and JRakes like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

As I recall, I did all conversions using SunriseXP. I have no idea if any of that still works. That's ancient history.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and JRakes like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Here are 3 links to threads addressing Sunrise XP and Plucker. Two threads are here at BH and the third one is located at mobileread.com and is a tutorial written by one of our members. You might read thru these while waiting for more specific assistance and might even find the answer within. I haven't used Plucker in years but did use it almost daily in my looooong Palm lifetime. Nowadays I use my TXs for DateBk6 and not a lot more.

http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/avantgo-replacement-program.269110/#post-1762785

http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/sunrise-plucker-for-dummies.236988/

doogie68's Sunrise XP for Newbies Tutorial (BH Member)
    http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6262&highlight=doogie

5. jigwashere

Unless I'm mistaken, you might be able to use Calibre to convert to a Palm/Plucker format. If so, that's a really powerful and relatively easy tool to use.

raspabalsa, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

[OT]
    Cool to see this kind of question - Sorta takes one back to the earlier days of "handheld computers" when many of us embarked into that new realm. :cool:

I can't help w/ the particular question, but occasionally enjoy this sort of reminiscence. Thanks for the memories!
    [/OT]

r0k, raspabalsa, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I haven't read the words "Plucker" and "SunriseXP" in the same sentence in almost ten years... it is ancient history alright, but it's very nice to know some people still use these apps. Plucker is still installed on my TX, and I was surprised to see that SunriseXP is also still installed on my desktop, and even more surprising to see that it works under Win10, although I had to tinker with the compatibility feature to make it work. I gave the link in the OP's first post a try, and it was sucessfully converted and transfered to my Palm TX (and on the first try too!). Check it out:

DSC_0606~01.jpg

I simply launched SunriseXP, added the URL, checked that the destination was my hotsync user, synced the TX, and it's like I'm back in 2007, when no one but geeks and nerds had heard of the word "android" :D

I have the installer for SunriseXP (version 203a) and Plucker (version 1.8) in case someone wants them.

8. RevZach

RevZach Mobile Consultant

YES!!!! Thank you everybody!! That does the trick!!

9. jigwashere

When I moved to Android, I struggled to find a replacement for Plucker. I tried a bunch of solutions. One of my favorites was Calibre, sending the resulting newspaper, RSS feeds, and magazine articles to my device automagically to read via my Kindle app. In fact, Calibre would even email them to sync up on my Paperwhite. While a very nice solution, I abandoned it in favor of Feedly + Pocket. Feedly collects all my RSS feeds, and I run through them frequently, usually just checking out the headlines. When something interests me, I share it to Pocket, which (usually) captures the entire article, sans ads and fluff. I can read Pocket articles offline and share to Evernote if I want to save it indefinitely. Both Feedly and Pocket rely on the Cloud, so my reading is always synchronized across my devices. I can easily read on my desktop, Chromebook, and Android smartphone without losing my place.

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

[OT]
    I have difficulty not losing my place on a single page of an open book (no assistance required from cats or dogs, either)
    [/OT]
    nice solution, jig :newpalm: