Please help!

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by Emor, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emor

Emor Mobile Enthusiast

Hi, my name is Emor and I may be getting a Palm TX soon. It was only today I was having doubts about getting one, since I read up that syncing is not supporting MC(Media Center). So I was just wondering, would I be able to use a bluetooth adapter to stream everything? Or put everything on an SD card, since I probably will be putting everything on a SD card anyway, it's just concerning me since when I get it I may not have access to the internet to check up on what to do.
    Posts greatly appreciated,
    EMZ:)
    EDIT:Oh, I nearly forgot, also, is there any disadvantageous sending files to Palm this way?

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Welcome to Brighthand, Emor. :)

Although MCE is not officially supported, as long as you are not using a very old version (pre-2005 I think), it should work fine. There is a stickied thread HERE that has some tips. I have installed the TX on MCE without any problems.

The key to success is:
    1. Make sure you have administrator rights.
    2. disable BOTH your antivirus and your firewall during install.
    3. Uncheck the box that offers to check the internet for newer components when installing.
    4. Do NOT connect your TX or do a first hotsync until the Palm desktop has been completely installed and you have rebooted your computer. Ignore all invitations to do so.

Cheers, and enjoy your TX. :newpalm:

3. Emor

Emor Mobile Enthusiast

Ahh, thanks. Unfortunately I've got Windows Media Center Edition 2002(even though I bought it in 2007..). That''s great, I would just appreciate it so much if anyone could tell me If using Bluetooth would work fine and I would see all the Palm folders and send apps. etc with it.
    Many, many thanks,

4. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

Copying apps to "PALM/Launcher" should not give you problems. (Pop the card in at least once and view "Card Info" to create directories.) Using a card reader (I imagine there's one built in to the front of your PC) is also fine.

Go get UniCommand (linked in my "short freeware reviews") so you can manage data put elsewhere. ;)

5. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Bluetooth is very slow. The best way to sync is via wifi, or cable. You can send files via bluetooth, but if you send anything other than .prc or .pdb files, you need something like GetDeBlu to transfer the files to the SD card. I usually transfer files via SD card, using FileProg (or FileZ, or UniCMD) to copy from the SD card to the handheld, or else just leave the files on the card in the /Palm/Launcher folder. I only hotsync to synchronize PIM data, or other data such as Password Plus, which I may change on the desktop. I almost never install anything via hotsync.

6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

There is a trick you can try that might work. Try the directions in the thread I linked and my hints. They may actually work even with the older version. However, if the hardware install wizard pops up when you attach your TX via the cable, direct it to look for a driver in "C:\Program Files\Palm\USB_Driver."

Otherwise, I would get a usb card reader and a copy of NVBackup (freeware) for the palm. With NVBackup, you will always have a full backup of your TX whhich can be restored (do it nightly). With the card reader, you can copy downloaded programs from your computer to your SD card. If you want to run them from your card, put them in Launcher. If you need to run them from main memory, use the freeware Filez to copy them over.

7. Emor

Emor Mobile Enthusiast

Ahh, thanks everyone so much. I highly doubt I'll need the hot sync cable since I have a SD card reader. Rep for all of you:)

8. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

That's the version I'm using! It won't be a problem, just follow Hook's good suggestions.

I've had zero problems using it with both a Zire 72 and my TX! :)

WyreNut

9. Emor

Emor Mobile Enthusiast

Ahh, thanks.

10. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Welcome to Brighthand, Emor! :D

You can follow what I did to install Palm Desktop on my MCE2005 machine (no problems at all with a single install effort) in post #12 of the thread linked by Hook, above. I suspect that should work for MCE2002, as well.

Best of luck! Please post back with your results, whatever you try.

Joe