Please Call Palm if you have Popping Sound

Discussion in 'Palm' started by SPatrick, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPatrick

SPatrick Mobile Evangelist

I just got a return call back from Palm and the tech I spoke to said I was the first Zire71 owner he has been able to contact regarding this issue. Palm is paying for me to send my unit in to them (so that they can see what it is doing...none of the ones they have will duplicate this problem) and they are sending me a new one.

The tech I talked to did say they were having the same problem with the Tungsten C, but they had units there that displayed the problem....so they could work on it. That isn't the case with the Zire, so they can't fix the problem until they can see it happening.

Please, if you are indeed having this problem call Palm 1-888-956-7256 and report it/send in your Palm so that they can work on a solution.

2. s01j4h

s01j4h Newbie Member

*What* popping sound are you referring to?:confused:

3. SPatrick

The popping noise was talked about in a previous post called "Clicking on Zire 71 does any unit not have it?" Basically it is a "pop" or "click" noise that happens in addition to the normal system noise when you touch the screen. Not a huge problem or anything, but it is quite annoying if you do a lot of data entry.

Mine seems to make the noise regularly but not constantly. It also will not make the noise if I am playing a game with sound effects.

The post I referred to explains the problem better than I can.

Sorry for the omission of this explanation in my original post!

4. s01j4h

s01j4h Newbie Member

Hmm, I don't seem to get it on mine..

5. SPatrick

Good!

Unfortunately I have heard of it happening on quite a few units and several people were posting about it. It seems that none of the units Palm has will do it either and they can only help the problem if they can look at a "defective" unit. Hence the reason I am asking those complaining to please call!

6. Man Breasts

Man Breasts Mobile Evangelist

I get a popping sound when I tap the screen, is that what you're referring to?

7. Man Breasts

Man Breasts Mobile Evangelist

That sound went away when I turned off system sound. I'm not sure if that's the same thing you're referring to.

8. DozePih

DozePih Mobile Enthusiast

This is what Palm answered me:
    Code:
    Dear Tomas,

Thank you very much for your inquiry.  I understand that you hear a 
    faint popping sound in the speaker of the Palm(TM) Zire(TM) handheld.  
    Tomas, Palm Inc., is investigating a system limitation of the Palm OS(R)
    in relation to the audio circuitry on the Palm(TM) Zire(TM) 71.  This is
    not a hardware related issue and Palm software engineers are 
    investigating the matter. 

9. SPatrick

I love how Palm is sooo consistent in their replies...NOT!! I complained 3 times and got 3 different responses. The last time I complained was through a phone call and I told the dumb tech I talked to that I was probably going to take my unit back. That was when Palm quickly called me back at home and asked me to send my unit to them in exchange for a new one they would send me. And of course they claimed that they have not been able to contact anyone who complained of this problem....so therefore they couldn't investigate it because none of the units they had would duplicate the problem.

Guess I am still going to ship my Palm to them and hope they get my new one to me in the 2 business day time frame the guy promised.

I am a previous Compaq pocket pc user and I have to say that my experience with their tech support was light years better than the runaround I have gotten from Palm lately!

10. Na3than

Na3than Newbie

I've been having the same problem with my T|C since I got it last Friday. The tech support rep I talked to said this is "normal behavior" and that the system engineers are "looking into it." If and when a fix is ever released, it may be posted on the Palm web site. My options then are 1) do nothing, 2) check the Palm site regularly and indefinitely until a fix is posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.