Pics from Comdex - H5450/1910/AXIM

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Paul P, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enders

enders 3D Guru

Wondering if anyone has seen any actual benchmark numbers. Specifically for video/games.

I am a little worried about purchasing the HP1910 with only a 200mhz Xscale.

Gotta make sure this thing can handle Everquest for the PPC. :)

2. alexp

alexp Mobile Deity

OK, this comment makes no sense at all. Anyone can tell you that 16mhz is enough to do your contacts, tasks, and calendar. Why are you going ga-ga over a $300 Pocket PC if you're only going to do that? You'd be just fine running an old Handspring Visor Prism at 33mhz to do those 3 basic things. Extra mhz is for extra functions, and if you want that in a small size, lower your screen standards and pick up a Palm m505 cheap.

I'm not trying to be a Palm evangelist or anything, but someone who's going after a 200mhz PDA so they can do the 3 core PIM functions is akin to someone who buys a Pentium 4 cpu so they can compose plain text documents. Pocket PC was not designed just for the basics.

3. AristoBrat

AristoBrat Mobile Deity

Read my signature there, buddy -- Palm was my first PDA!

My whole point for bringing up the 200mhz is that some folks on here are like "OH MY GAWD -- 200 MHZ IS SOOOO STUPID -- I CAN'T RUN MY YAME EMULATOR AND WIFI MY MP3S AT THE SAME TIME!"

Well, no crap -- that's not the market the 1910 was built for.

Believe it or not, there IS a crowd of PocketPC users that mainly use the PIM features. Even though the PocketPC wasn't designed ONLY for the basics, it happens to DO the basics a helluva lot better than Palm does. And frankly, I think your comment is ignorant to assume that just because someone wants the basics, they should have to settle for a PALM.

I, for one, am excited that there is finally an inexpensive PocketPC choice out there that is SMALLER than the Palm I first started with a year and a half ago.

4. Makic

Makic Confused

I used a Compaq Aero 1550 for the longest time, and it was a great PIM. I love my 3955 I use now, but the Viewsonic looks like it is a better machine for less money. If size didn't matter so much, I would also recommend the brick, I mean the Dell over the 1900 too.

Of course all of these opinions are based on opinions that I read from others, so you can probably ignore me. :)

5. LLLean

LLLean Mobile Evangelist

I really hate it when people tell others "why are you buying
    this so-and-so device. Go get a palm, etc. You don't need
    the speed."

Firstly, you're deriding the Palm platform. I prefer the
    PPC platform myself, but i don't tell people to use Palm
    just because they don't need the speed. Palm and PPC are
    quite different devices.

Secondly and more importantly, when someone prefers
    a particularly device - say the h1910 or Viewsonic - there're
    numerous other reasons he/she likes that device, most of
    which we as a reader do not know. So please let us refrain
    from being so smart as to sarcastically tell others what to
    do. Others are usually as smart or smarter than us.

Sorry for the negative tone. It's just i really hate it when
    others try to impose their 'judgement' and when they do
    it in a non polite way.

6. masitti

masitti Mobile Deity

Wow! The 1910 is a LOT smaller than I thought it was! Hmm... this is definitely going on the list to do more research on... :D

*edit*

Does it have an SD/MMC slot?

7. AristoBrat

AristoBrat Mobile Deity

SD/MMC, but not SDIO. :)

8. Heyo

Heyo Mobile Deity

You go AB! :)

I remember a 3 page flame war I had with someone when the e310 came out and they didn't get that device either.

"Why no CF? No one will buy it. The whole point of a PPC is that is has CF so you can use modems etc... you might as well buy a Palm... blah, blah, blah, whine, whine, whine..."

Now the e310 is one of the most popular Pocket PC's ever made and I'm sure this new HP will be a winner too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.