Pics from Comdex - H5450/1910/AXIM

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Paul P, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makic

Makic Confused

Does anyone know if the V35 supports use of serial devices? The Compaq, er. . . oops, HP, website states that the 1900 does not.

2. i_am_cdn

i_am_cdn Pocket Theme Fanatic

Hmm this could be the upgrade I've been looking for without going totally broke.

All I use my 3650 for is email, contacts, tasks, ebooks and some WMP.

Just wish it supported CF, but if I read it right it does support the SD format?

I have to admit the 5000 series may have more bang, but it sure looks like a brick compared to the slimmed down 1900.

3. AristoBrat

AristoBrat Mobile Deity

It supports SD memory cards, but not SDIO devices like BlueTooth, etc.

4. imported_Birdman

imported_Birdman Mobile Deity

Does it have an IR port that would support an IR modem?

5. leighj

leighj Mobile Deity

Having owned a Toshiba E330 w/ the 300MHz, which is running like a 192MHz underclocked StrongARM - when I'm running PocketDivX, the 200MHz X-scale may be running below a 170MHz StrongARM - which may be ok for regular PIM stuff - unless you happen to have an enormous calendar/contact info in which case it could be running a little slow.

I really wish Microsoft et al would start pushing the X-scale code optimisations - so that it doesn't feel like we're regressing rather than progressing. The only significant thing these current X-scale generation systems have brought to the table is improved form factor. Battery life has improved a little but not significantly beyond what a HP568 (and some others) achieved.

It is attractive, but since it doesn't support SDIO, then the WIFI SD cards in the near future won't work - it won't be on my list either...

6. imported_mar2k

imported_mar2k Senior Member

Seems like HP is completely missing the boat on this one by not having it available on launch day. I'm sure there are a lot of people who might have given the 1910 a shot, but will wind up with other PDAs since this thing apparently won't be available for almost a month apparently........

7. AristoBrat

AristoBrat Mobile Deity

It's not just HP --

If you try to order an Axim X5 from Dell's webpage, it shows a 'preliminary' delivery date of 12/16/2002.

The v35's website shows 'limited availability in mid-November at select outlets'. Apparently that hasn't happened yet because it says to check back to see exact availablility and store locator.

I'm sure all three of these folks will have their stuff ready in enough time to be underneath the Christmas tree... :)

8. AristoBrat

AristoBrat Mobile Deity

It's not just HP --

If you try to order an Axim X5 from Dell's webpage, it shows a 'preliminary' delivery date of 12/16/2002.

The v35's website shows 'limited availability in mid-November at select outlets'. Apparently that hasn't happened yet because it says to check back to see exact availablility and store locator.

I'm sure all three of these folks will have their stuff ready in enough time to be underneath the Christmas tree... :)

9. imported_mar2k

imported_mar2k Senior Member

Well, at least there's a way to order the Dell, doesn't seem like the HP models are even listed for pre-order by HP.

I guess there are sites like DreamPages taking orders but they are charging more than the retail price by $20 and that's not going to buy you earlier delivery.

10. Eitel

Eitel Super Hero In Training

I don't know. At the end, who you'll be more mad at, a company that doesn't have the product yet and is not taking orders for it, or a company that doesn't have the product yet, but is taking orders for it and they're still not sure if they will meet their targeted date?

IMO, i prefer a company that offers me somthing that they have right now, not something that they will have 1 or 2 months from now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.