PEG-SJ30 won't recognize memory sticks

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by pelikan3, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pelikan3

pelikan3 Mobile Deity

I have a PEG-SJ30 that I was given as a hand-me-down. It appears to be in very good condition and proper working order. I bought two 128MB memory sticks (Lexar) but the unit won't recognize either of them. It says there is no card. I tried formatting in the unit and it says "This card cannot be formatted". I verified that 128MB is the max this unit will recognize and it does appear to be the original style of memory stick (It's not a pro or a Duo).

I have a decade of experience with Palm but no CLIE experience and no memory stick experience (all SD and SD/IO), so I can't intuit any further.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

Hello pelikan3.

Since this is a hand-me-down unit, did you try a hard reset? The hard reset works just like it does on Palm handhelds: Hold the power button, press the reset button on the back/side of the unit. When the logo appears release the Power button. Also like a Palm, the hard reset on a Clie will reset the device back to the factory default settings. Hopefully, this will help you get the MS slot working again.

You might also want to see if there are any software updates that are available for your device. You can access the Sony Clie PEG-SJ30 site here.

Alan G

3. pelikan3

pelikan3 Mobile Deity

Alan,

Thanks! You're a life saver. You wouldn't happen to know how to

1) Set the SJ30 for autobackup? and

2) establish it as a removable hard drive so I can drag and drop photos to the card from my MAC (I don't have a memory stick reader and, after I send this to my sister, I won't need one)?

Thanks!

Lee

4. hankroberts

hankroberts Mobile Enthusiast

Still there? You may want the memory stick -- I back my SJ30 up to the memory stick regularly. You have a backup app that came with the Clie.

You have a memory stick mounting app on the Clie too, it should show up on the Mac desktop. Be a bit careful and read up on how to handle that, I'm not sure what's safe; I don't try formatting or deleting files from the Mac desktop for example. The Mac will leave its little desktop files on the memory stick too.

5. Paul Robinson

Paul Robinson Mobile Deity

AFAIK, the MS Import biz doesn't work on Apples. There is no corresponding program that will show the memory stick. You can stick the stick in a card reader and drag and drop that way.

I hope I'm wrong about this--as I'm on a Mac--and if so, please someone chime in.

6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I'm not sure about CardExport II, but I believe that CardReader by Mobilestream will work for this. Check them out.

7. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

Doesn't the Missing Sync allow you to mount SD/MMC/MemStick to the Mac desktop? I thought it did.

Don't worry about the .DS_Store files from the Mac. They are harmless to a PC.

Alan G

8. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

I'm sorry, I don't recall if the built-in Sony software does auto backups. It has been a long time since I used my Clie. (I have a NZ-90.)

For my everyday backups, I'm using Resco Backup.

Alan G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.