PDA Emergency Help

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jcatt99, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcatt99

jcatt99 Mobile Enthusiast

OK, guys, I need quick help or advice. We came home from vacation three days ago. It was late at night and somehow my Treo 650 (in its leather case) fell out onto the grass next to the car. I didn't notice, and it was too dark to see. I was pretty sure that it had run out of juice, so didn't expect any calls and didn't miss it.

Anyway, it rained that night. I didn't find it outside until the next evening. The leather case was pretty wet, but surprisingly little water was actually in the case - just some drops on the screen. the battery was dry. No moisture dripped out of it.

I took out the battery, placed it over a heat vent to try to dry it out, and waited a day. It dried all day in the sun, and I just today plugged it into the battery.

The phone seems to work. The memory is intact. The only thing that is needing to be helped is the LCD screen. It is pretty dark in the margins now, and bright in the center, like it was before the incident. I assume that the dark borders are from trapped moisture.

How, if at all, can I get that moisture out? I worry that it might further damage my phone. Should I not worry about it, continue to dry, and it might take care of itself?

Thanks for any thoughts. I'm so mad, and I'm looking for any info.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

I would go to a camera store, get a couple of those reusable dry packs and seal the phone up in a ziplock with the dry packs overnight.

And if you think there may be moisture still in there, you might want to take out the battery ...

3. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, jcatt99.

4. jcatt99

jcatt99 Mobile Enthusiast

thanks for the welcome, albeit under duress :p

5. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I can't resist a comment like that!

Welcome to Brighthand, jcatt99! :D

And never fear - Many of us got here under duress :eek:
    (Just be careful not to pay attention to those who would put a dyslexic spin on that last word for a cheap thrill...)

6. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

I am not under dressed!

7. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand jcatt99.

I'd take heed of AKAJohnDoe's suggestion. It may take a few days to completely dry. If no joy, check out usedpdaparts.com for repair/LCD replacement.

8. Ashton

Ashton Dell Axim X51v Advocate

I have one very important warning for drying out a PDA

DO NOT MICROWAVE THEM!!!

lol! I mean that in jest (I hope nobody here is that foolish) but I know of a guy that did that when he spilled coffee on his Newton (one of hte first true PDAs) I dont even want to think about that...

But I agree with the above idea, if you dare to take the back of the casing off that might help too (at the least leave the battery compartment open and empty when drying it out)

9. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Don't put it in the oven, either... :eek:

10. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Minister of Awesome

I've spilled things on my Mogul a time or two. Whenever one of my devices gets wet, I always do the same thing. First, immediately take out the battery. Wipe off any visible moisture anywhere on the device. Then use the dry packs mentioned earlier. If no one around you sells them, fear not: it's the same little packs of silica gel that come in...well, almost everything these days. Your grocery store also sells it in the form of cat litter (the white crystals...just avoid the dust). It's often parroted around that you can use rice to much the same effect, which seems logical, but I've never tried it. The biggest thing to remember is to never turn the device back on without letting it dry completely. Turning things back on is really where a lot of people destroy their devices - the water shorts them out. Leave the battery out and the outer casing off, and let the phone dry out for a minimum of 24 hours, preferably longer. I'll set the phone under a pile of silica gel bags, put a small fan to one side, and just walk away. After a day or two, take everything out, look for any moisture, reassemble and turn it on. Devices can often come out of the experience unscathed. In your case, it seems like the phone made it out relatively undamaged, but it might be wise to take a couple of precautions anyway.