PDA at school

Discussion in 'Palm' started by doug21, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

I'm standing right beside Nine on this one. Things can be taken too far sometimes. Asking the (approximate) age of someone when you don't know where in the world they are, their gender, real name, etc. seems pretty safe.
    Besides, let's face it: If someone is asking for age-specific help they can't get it unless the age range is known. And if they've been trained not to provide it they can decline the request or lie if they feel that's indicated.

2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Without a rough idea of the class level, it's impossible to make informed recommendations. All that's really necessary is whether this is a junior high, high school or something else. A rough age range for a group of students isn't that big a deal, IMO. There is a fine line between appropriate protectiveness and overprotectiveness, and it seems this thread is teetering on that line.

3. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Mmm. A little too close. OW! Inappropriate contact! Moderator! Moderator! :( <Nine runs off>

4. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

<In light of that post, PDA Bach is glad he changed his original post from "...standing right behind Nine...">:rolleyes:

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

I understand your point that only two pieces of overlapping information were requested. In and of itself, that crumb information is innocuous (spell check!), but my point - which extends beyond this thread - is maybe another crumb will be requested and dropped somewhere else and that dropping multiple crumbs may turn into a trail, even if you think those crumbs are unrelated.

6. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

And I'm a mother and a School Psychologist...I asked for his age "and/or" grade level, I didn't ask for his birthdate, school name, and/or address. If the OP wants information regarding apps for him to use at school how can I do that if I don't know what to recommend? My child is 8 and in the second grade...could you pick her out in a crowd given that information?

I understand your concern, but it's the same for any poster requesting any level of help. I can't recommend apps that woud be beneficial for him/her if I don't know some "minimal" amount of information. Otherwise I'd be sitting here all night offering various lists after lists, only to have the OP say, "Nope not useful." I'd love to help but I guess I need too much information in order to do so. Best of luck to you Doug21.

Edit: I apologize in advance for my tone, while I understand in concept the concern I am still annoyed.

7. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

We (I say we because BH is a community to which I belong) weren't asking for information from an Internet savvy adult about her child, we were asking a child of unknown age (though his/her poor spelling and attitude may be give-aways as to age).

I have seen my internet-savvy teenager, divulge information that she thought was innocent and untraceable and it wasn't always asked for. Some was asked for and the rest was volunteered. And lots was more identifiable that she thought.

Whether asked for or not, once posted on BH, that information is out there for all to see and use (though I suspect the Mods would torch the information quickly).

Not saying we (and I DO mean "we" in the community spirit) asked for anything inappropriate, but the red flags go up when asking children for information on the Internet. That's all.

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Let me first say that one of our other main concerns, beyond offering solutions to PDA problems & recommending hardware/software solutions, is for the Family Friendly status of our Forums. We monitor for content, behavior, language, and other factors and have no qualms about stepping in when we deem it necessary. We are all too aware of the predatory mindset that is every parent's worst nitemare and actively patrol to prevent any inappropriate behavior, for the protection of our Members.

This was no more than a bookstore clerk would ask, if you called to ask for recommendations for outside reading. Without any guidelines, it is impossible to successfully recommend age-appropriate software. You would want that level of service if you were purchasing software, and the benefit of our experience is part of what we offer members.

I understand your concerns and am an Elementary/High School Librarian & Mom to a college student. :)

9. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

I understand completely the spirit of your post mansfield. I think we, as parents, need to take more responsibility for our children's behavior. My 8 yr old is never on the internet w/o my supervision. I can see that your particular situation doesn't necessarily parallel here, as your child is much older.

I apologize for the "flame" however if a child is going to be on forums he/she should be monitored. No one here would ever ask for specifically identifying information, only enough to be able to appropriately answer questions and/or assist and I don't believe a line was crossed here.

With that being said, I am sure someone here will be more than willing and able to help with this endeavor.

Edit: It appears I was posting as lelisa was preparing her reply, it was not my intention to be redundant, but after typing all that I wasn't deleting it. :cool:

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Since we have not heard from the OP again, this may be just an exercise for ourselves, to examine how we respond to this type of request. We shall see. :)

I am confident with our actions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.