PC running slowly. Any suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CEB, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

I started down a detail level path here and neglected to mention the place to look first; when you are unsure if it is hardware, software, or network: The Event Viewer logs. Often voluminous, sometimes cryptic, but quite the resource, nevertheless.

2. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for the tip. Yes, a violation of EUA, but it's only to test the laptop then it gets wiped. When you say drivers are a second step, does that mean that a Dell recovery disk will work on a Toshiba laptop? I thought a Dell recovery used a hidden partition.

I founf the Event Viewer Logs by accident. Nothing obvious in there, just a laod of programs that hang occassionally.

Thanks again for all your advice.

3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

All the Dells I have have recovery CDs. One of the things I like about Dell-- they still do that. :)

4. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Right, great. I did specifically ask them for a genuine windows CD before I made the purchase. Yes, they said. Did they send it? Did the heck! I'm happy to hear what you say therefore.

I'm gonna give this Win98 install one more try. Then the Dell. After that, I've spent enough time on this monster. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.