PC running slowly. Any suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CEB, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q-Eye

Q-Eye Once lost, now found...

SVCHOST is a generic shell for an app that is running as a "service" on your machine. Kill it and you have just terminated the service. So, yes, one instance may be doing background backups and others may be running other apps as services.

2. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Oh, good - Glad to hear it!

Now to find some more coffee for moi... *YAWN*

3. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Here's an update.
    Run Spinrite (from www.grc.com, hard disc recovery and maintenance software)
    I used SIW to check the temperature of the CPU, but the only sensor appears to be for the hard drive.
    Installed and run Ccleaner - cleans up temporary files and empties recycle bin
    Checked Power Management to make sure processor speed isn't slowed to save battery
    Set the Page File (Swap File) to 512MB fixed to optimise performance
    At this point, on battery power, it seemed quicker.
    Restarted on battery power, and it's slow again. Back to mains power.

Unless anyone else has suggestions, my plan is:
    Defrag and see if that helps.
    If not, install a replacement hard drive and install Win 98 to see if that runs quickly.
    Replace the original drive, and recommend either a re-install and/or more RAM.

Thanks for all your help.

Colin.

4. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

CCleaner is the best for an immediate solution; invest in a registry cleaner; Disk Cleanup ain't a bad idea; and then add RAM :D

Oh, get rid of Adaware, SpyBot, and when that subscription to whatever virus detection program is done ditch that too. Use Avast instead, best thing since paying for Trend Micro IMO.

Also, move your fam to using FF or Opera and more speed increases will be felt. Get rid of everything in the task bar unless its absoutely necessary (Start, Run, type 'msconfig', do to startup tab; uncheck apps you don't use; google for those you aren't sure of). After that, it will run plenty faster

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

Try entering tasklist /svc | more into a command prompt window to see what is really running. You can get the same info from the Task Manager, but this way gives you the processes matched with the services in a relatively short form. You could also pipe the output into a text file easily (replace the | more with >c:\tasksvc.txt).

And is it slow when stand-alone, or only when on the net? If it is slow on the net, try enhancing the above and look for matching process IDs. Sometimes a background update process is the culprit. Sometimes they try, even when the net is not available. Try this saved as a .bat or .cmd file:

@echo off

tasklist /svc

echo.

netstat -a -o -f | find /V "%COMPUTERNAME%:" | find /V "*:*" | find /V "Active Connections"

echo.
    echo *** End of List ***
    echo.

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Why Win 98 (probably what you have available). If you want to step back and have it available, W2K SP4 is a very stable OS for older platforms.

(Of course, you cold go to Ubuntu and it would really zing ;) )

7. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

I've never really liked registry cleaners (not that I've used one). I know non-techie people that have used them, and have got into troubles because of them.

Adaware and Spybot were only used to clean the system, they're not staying long term. On my advice, he's using AVG anti-virus. I use Trend because it has a 3-computer license at a fairly cheap rate, but things have changed since I bought my 2-year subscription. I've hear good things about Avast and will look into it.

I use Opera myself (couldn't get on with FF), but 9.5 looks awfull. A lot of sites I use for my Financial Services business don't work on Opera. For the family, it's too much trouble getting them to switch from IE; I can't afford to anser all the unpaid 'how do I do this in Opera' questions.

I did turn off unwanted startup items. I use AutoRuns from SysInternals (now MicroSoft) to turn off unwanted tasks. I like it more than MSConfig.

I'll try the tasklist /svc command, I've never heard of it. NetStat - I've use that once and couldn't make head nor tail of it. I did wonder if it was some sort of update service because my cousin says that if he leaves it for an hour or so, it seems to get quicker. I suspect that after that time it has finished booting up and opened any apps he's been madly clicking on.

Yes, Win98 is the only OS CD I have, all the rest are recovery CDs. I'm putting it on an old drive to see if it runs ok in that laptop.

Unfortunately, installing Win 98 has been difficult; the drive has some bad sectors, and the laptop keeps switching off. It's hot here, so I've got a fan running on it to cool it down.

8. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Ew; Win98 doesn't like bad sectors. Might it just be the HD that needs replacing in order to uptick the performance?

9. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

So I've just found out. Hangs on startup. The HD is one I had laying around. It was in an enclosure, and I knocked it off the table once. Hence it's buggered. I just wanted to run another OS on another HD to rule out hardware before telling him to reformat and reinstall with his HD.

10. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

It is probably a violation of EULAs, but at least Dell recovery disks will actually let you install Windows-- the dell drivers are offered in a second step. For testing purposes, it might do.

<Hook hopes he doesn't sound too much like a pirate... oh, wait a minute...> ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.