PC running slowly. Any suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CEB, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Hello my off-topic friends.

I've been working on my Cousin's notebook for a week. It's running very slowly (90 seconds just to open MS Word). I noticed that its Kernal memory is lower than my two notebooks (one of which is 2 years old than his), but I don't really know much about Kernel Memory. I wonder if that can be the culprit as his CPU doesn't run at 100%. Here are typical stats:
    Totals: Handles 8898, Threads 462, Processes 47
    Commit Charge: Total 304036, Limit 510464, Peak 474576
    Pysical Memory: Ttoal 228844, Available 39300, System Cache 69,000
    Kenrel Memory (K): Total 25868, Paged 18776, Nonpaged 7148 (my notebooks have 4x and 6x this total)

It's a Toshiba Equium, single core, 2.8Ghtz, only 512MB RAM. He uses it for MS Office tasks mainly, and web.

I think he's going to have to reformat and start again. Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions please?

Here's the troubleshooting I've done so far:
    Turned off startup items not needed.
    Removed My Web Search
    Windows Defender - Spyware search - no problems found
    Removed Hard Disk, put it in external drive enclosure, and ran the following using another PC
    Trend Micro Antivirus/AntiSpyware - 3 trojans found, deleted - I think these were in restore points from My Web Search
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware adware remover - no problems found
    SpyBot Search & Destroy - no problems found
    Replaced hard disk - run a couple of test docs (word and excel) and opened outlook (no internet connection) - a little quicker, but still slow
    Connected to interenet - slow loading pages
    Run PandaScan - no problems found
    Run Knoppix Live CD - works fine and quickly
    Currently running System File Checker

2. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

How hot is it running?

Any processes eating up cpu usage?

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

hey, Colin! you don't mention what Windows flavor it is running, but on XP Home, SP2, I've found that SVCHOST.EXE is a sometimes hog/bottleneck. I don't really know what it is doing (at one time, I think it was running automatic updates, or at least trying to), there are usually more than one instance of it running, but if things are bad I will kill it and to the best of my knowledge, continue computing merrily.... :rolleyes:

good luck

4. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Does it behave the same whether plugged in or off battery? Wondering if it had some kind of power management kicking in.

Frankly, you can tweak a lot and not get much out of it. Your remove the hard disk test suggests the problem may be software.

I'd add an additional 512 RAM and reformat. ;)

5. avisitor

avisitor Mobile Deity

Yeah, go to 1 or 2GB of ram.

SVCHOST is the process that dll-based services/executables run under. Generally you should not kill it.

6. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Currently running Spinrite, so all I have is drive temp at 49C (120F). It runs slow right from a cold start though. CPU is not being maxed out (very odd), and there's no one service that's hogging CPU.

It's Win XP Home, SP2 (maybe SP3 now), but fully patched.

I thought it might be updates, but it's the same when connected to the net and not connected.

The battery is quite old, and may not work. I have been running on mains power with the battery in. I'll try some alternatives after Spinrite, and check the power management settings.

I think it might be software too. I might put an old drive in it and install Win XP to see what happens. If that runs okay then it's probably software and I'll recommend a reinstall.

Regarding RAM, I've priced it up. He only has one slot, so he'd have to go to 512 total or max it out at 1GB (£30 and £50 respectively).

Thanks very much for the help.

7. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

PS. Why would the Kernel memory be so small? It's 1/4 of the size of my old laptop which is two years older. What dictates the Kernel size?

Thanks.

8. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Hi, Colin!

OK, my ver professional, highly experienced opinion is that it needs more coffee. Pop out that cup holder thingie and give it a big ol' mug. You know, that thing that slides out when you press the little button... :D

Seriously, though: Have you cleared out temp and cache files? Have you defragged the HD? I didn't see anything specifically about those items mentioned above, but I need more coffee at the moment and may very well have missed it. :eek:

Good luck with it! And visit more often - How's the fam?

9. avisitor

avisitor Mobile Deity

I believe Kernel memory is set on the Advanced tab of System Properties.

My machine is as follows:

Kernel: TOTAL: 66556 PAGED: 35550 NONPAGED: 31124
    PHYSICAL: TOTAL 2086956 AVAILABLE: 1559968 SYSTEM CACHE: 154536

You can find out more information about your system: Start -> Run -> msinfo32

I have a Intel Centrino Duo (at 1.6ghz/core), 2GB RAM (needs upgrading ;)), 250GB HD. Runs perfectly fine the way it is. I believe Kernel memory automatically adjusts as needed. I could be wrong though.

10. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

I've got another hour before Spinrite finishes, then I'll look to see if I can change the Kernel Memory size. If not, it must be automatic.

Meanwhile, I've put a big mug of latte in the cup holder. It hasn't made the PC run faster, but it's helping me. Hi Joe! Family is great thanks. You good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.