PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

Those plans, as I said, are for laptop connect usb dongles only-- at least, that's what I get in my zip code when I try to put them in my cart.

Now maybe you get a SIM with those dongles that you could switch into your phone, but I'm not sure they would be happy if they detected that. Plus, the plan is 2-year contract. The even More Plus plans offer no data only options, and that is what I was complaining about.

2. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

I see; I was going by the part that said for WinMobile and laptops (text needs to be updated perhaps).

3. wildwillie6

wildwillie6 Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips -- I'll try it both ways and report back. (Love this Nokia 5800!)

4. racewater

racewater Mobile Enthusiast

this is a great post, i'm going prepaid, sick of contracts. thanks for the post.

5. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I did finally go prepaid, and this thread helped push me in that direction, though I'm dataless at the moment, once I'm finished with my current TMo minutes, I have my own small scale data option I'll be shooting for.

I had to cut my voice usage quite a bit by moving most of my longer calls to VOIP (Google Voice + Gizmo5), but since October I've averaged less than $10 per month in phone bills, and the savings has been helpful. If I were a little less lazy, I could probably wrench another dollar or two savings per month out of it, but I don't foresee becoming less lazy anytime soon.

6. Hook

Please share what your data option is-- it would be nice to have other options appear in this thread. Is this also going to be GSM or have you found a pre-pay data option for CDMA?

7. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

CDMA on PagePlus, an MVNO of Verizon. On the standard plan, you'd pay more per MB than you would for ATT data in the 20mb per month arena I think (I haven't looked at the math in several month, but that's how I remember it), but you could also reach a lower monthly minimum on PP if you used anemic amounts and just wanted it for very rare occasions. It was an exciting find for me because VZW didn't allow smartphones on their per minute stuff last I checked, and TMo still doesn't allow any data of any kind (except for sidekick users).

Their standard plan has voice minutes as low as $.04 per minute, though they don't have the 1 year expiration period like ATT and TMo do, but refreshing the pot with $10 refills every 4 months to roll the balance over probably won't push you much over $.05 per minute even if you use the minutes very slowly. Data is $0.0012/KB ($1.20 per MB) on the standard plan. Since the refill cards are sold elsewhere, you could potentially shave a little more off the per minute fee. For example, if you found a high rep seller on ebay, bing cashback might let you save an extra 8%ish.

Caveats: PP used to let any Verizon phone on and people had success with lots of Sprint phones too, but they recently banned a lot Palm, BB and some HTC handsets (not including mine) because of the tech support associated with them

Caveat 2: their support sucks. People report better results with email support than phone support, but if you generally need to talk with your carrier for some reason, don't bet on easy access to these people. Personally, I'd rather not pay for someone else's tech support, so I'm glad they skimp.

Bonus: it doesn't help me, but PP has access to VZW's QNC data free. It's unsupported, not in every region (areas VZW expanded to after QNC went out of vogue), and could end at any moment, in addition, it's very slow, about the dial up speeds people had in 1996, 9.6kbps to 14.4kbps. But if you can find a handset that supports it (further complicated by the smartphone ban), it's free. Great for email and maybe some plaintext RSS feeds.

8. rajdude

rajdude Mobile Enthusiast

My update:

1. I got a new toy....a HTC Pure off e-bay.
    works very nicely with PAYG plan + data. I have been using plenty of internet but 100 MB is plenty enough.
    However 25 cents a minute sucks bug time. Every time phone rings I have do decide whether to pick it up or not. I dont like that.

I am thinking of ditching my land line and going with a plan with more minutes or even a contract :eek:

2. Recently my SIM card conked out.
    I went to the ATT store where I bought that SIM for $25. [I mentioned this earlier in this thread]. The guy there went all nasty on me and wanted me to buy another SIM! I said no way and then I called ATT tech support....they did some troubleshooting and decided my SIM is conked off. They told me that they will give me a new SIM for free! I had to go to a nearby ATT store [not the one I bought the SIM card from earlier] and they simply gave me a new SIM. Worked instantly!

Here is the important thing:
    That store was a 'real ATT store' not a franchise. The guys there told me they never charge anythign for a new SIM..........even if you sign up with a new go-phone account. They give you the SIM for free and you put some minutes into your account....that's it!

Morale of the story.
    Dont get ripped off by going to a franchise store [like I did]

Your local store may look like a ATT factory store, but most probably, it isn't !
    BEWARE ! They will rip you off!

9. Hook

Generally, you should be able to tell the "real" AT&T wireless stores because that is the only logo-- generally sub-contractors have a store name apart from the AT&T logo. Glad you got it sorted.

I don't use the .25 per call plan. I use the .10 cents per call plan, though it does charge you $1 for each day you make or receive a call. Still, once I have paid that dollar, I can make long calls pretty cheap. Also, most of my calls go to other AT&T phones, which are free. I really don't use voice much, which is another advantage I have.

10. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

A long time ago I did the math (note for hook: S60 only uses around 8kb per hour standby) of ATT Pay go data + fring + GV + Gizmo5. I didn't save it, and it involved make specific usage assumptions but I believe the per minute cost of voip calls over cell data on winmo for my patterns was around $.12. Throw in using wifi as often you can instead, and you can drive down your monthly bill further. If you are a heavier data user than I, your per minute cost might go down a little.

Voip is more convenient if your primary number is a Google Voice number -- so you can answer incoming calls that way, or when you call from VoiP your friends and family aren't confused about who is calling, AND incoming calls to Gizmo5 are free, and if you dial out from GV website, all calls end up being incoming. Though I guess my particular setup might not work anymore since Gizmo5 isn't taking new members yet, unless you're willing to buy an account from someone.

But if you can't drive down your traditional cell minute usage, prepaid isn't worth it. And to me, if you're having to reject calls, that's not worth it either. I never want to go back to contracts, and between increasingly better monthly no contract plans and even cheap per minute plans like pageplus, I hope I'll never have to (unless a company is footing the bill).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.