PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

<Joe-Boy hears the faint music of the Twilight Zone and dashes off to the WinMob & HTC forums...>

Next you guys will figure out you live on the same street and had the same rep at the same phone store place... :eek:

2. wildwillie6

wildwillie6 Mobile Enthusiast

I've been using AT&T GoPhone with data just as described in this thread -- works great for me. The one difficulty is getting my Nokia 5800 to consistently use WiFi networks when I'm in range and go automatically to AT&T when I'm not.

I have my home WiFI as priority 1, work WiFi as priority 2 and AT&T as priority 3 in Connectivity | Destinations | Internet. And yet, somehow applications seem to have trouble, sometimes going to AT&T when I'm in range of WiFi -- or unsuccessfully searching for WiFi when I'm out of range and then giving an error rather than going straight to AT&T. I'm thinking of setting up a new email box with AT&T as the only listed connection and using that first whenever I'm out of WiFi range (that is, keeping that email box open before browsing, etc.) -- but is there a more elegant way to do this?

3. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

I found that the browser seems to run everything. In the browser, I tap options, select settings, select general and set "access point" to always ask. After that, everything that needs to connect always asks and shows you what choices are available. It's one extra tap when lauching something, but it takes half a second and is infallible.

Works for me. :)

4. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Yes, you will want to go to Connectivity > Wi-Fi Scanning and turn it to on. Set it to 10min - ironically, you might get better battery life (I do with my N97 and did also with other Nokia/Symbian devices).

You need to do this because Destinations only searches in the downward direction for priority. The WiFi scanning piece allows the priority to always start from the top, pretty much guaranteeing that you will always hit WiFi points within 10min of being there.

If you've got an app that relies on the GPS, this scanning could be even faster.

5. Hook

So what does turning scanning on do that my method doesn't do already? Just curious. I have never had troubles with wifi sources showing up instantly.

6. Antoine Wright

Check out the Symbian tip just added for it ;)

7. Hook

Hmmm, maybe I'll try it, but it seems a silly waste of battery just to skip an extra half-second button press. Guess that just shows how little I use internet. ;)

8. Antoine Wright

Something that I just noticed tonite, a GSM MVNO that I've been keeping tabs on - Simple Mobile - has recently turned on the (or obtained licensees for) a nationwide 3G network. In terms of those folks looking at doing prepaid plans and don't want the bain of some of the larger carrier's data packages, this is a solid bet. Even better, you bring your own phone to the plate, so you can really make out very well considering that for all the plans voice and text is unlimited.

Here's the site: Simple Mobile

Just a heads up that there are data restrictions here. If you wan to do prepaid data-only plans, TMobile seems the best bet (in the US).

9. Hook

Not bad, but still the annoying "You gotta buy voice if you want data." Even T-Mobile does not offer PAYG data only plans, though for someone who is more interested in Data, lives within T-Mobile 3G coverage and has a phone with T-Mobile 3G bands, the $60/month 500 mins voice/unlimited text/ unlimited data is not bad.

My plan actually comes the closest to being data only. You add money to the SIM and then you can use that money any way you want. I make very few voice calls, so, in fact, I am using it largely as a data only plan. $5/month to rollover, occasionally $20 to add another 100Mb. So far, I have only needed 1 100MB package and it is almost exactly 1 month short of a year. No streaming of course. That's fine, I carry video and audio on board. ;)

If someone would let me buy unlimited data only for a reasonable monthly price, I'd consider it. But unless you have a laptop or laptop connect card, they won't do it.

10. Antoine Wright

Uh... from the TMobile website ;)

T-Mobile webConnect 200 MB Data Plan Lite - 200MB/month $29.99/month
    T-Mobile Total Internet - Unlimited/month $39.99/month
    T-Mobile webConnect Data Plan - 5GB/month $59.99/month

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.