PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rajdude

rajdude Mobile Enthusiast

Wow ! You got lucky man!
    They charged me $25 for the gophone SIM!

and I am in Virginia too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

I suspect this is the sort of thing that can vary depending on who you get. My clerk was very friedly and loved Nokias. I was also putting $50 on the SIM. I have no idea if any of these things affected my getting the SIM activated for free or if they just weren't paying attention.

Activate it on the Smartphone. The Smartphone rules don't apply to Gophone SIMs with the exception of the iPhone which is not allowed to be a gophone.

As I said, I am not suprised this isn't consistent. Yes, I probably got a break.

3. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

My PAYG plan was originally a Cingular "Pick Your Plan," which became an AT&T plan when they "merged." But when I first got my cheap, basic dumbphone a few years ago, I didn't pay for the SIM, I didn't pay an activation fee, and the guy there at the (then) Cingular store got it all set up for me. He even set something on my account to allow me a couple of hours of "no-cost" use to try it out!

Last week when I got my new Touch Pro 2, I simply called AT&T to make sure I was good to go by swapping the SIM from the old phone to the new toy. The lady asked for the IMEI # on the new device to make sure it would be recognized on / function with their network / my account. That was it - No activation or other fees. I swapped the SIM, charged the battery, and all was functional.

Perhaps I, too, was just "lucky" with all of this and got good reps. I could certainly be wrong, but I've gotten the impression they don't gouge GoPhone Customers quite as much as contract Customers. Maybe, just maybe, they recognize that folks doing the GoPhone thing are doing so because they don't WANT to be paying out the nose all the time for services they don't need. And perhaps folks willing to sign up for a perpetual $100/mo yakking / texting habit probably aren't quite as bothered by an extra $25-50 here and there... ;)

4. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Firstly, God bless you, serving us over in Iraq!

About the phone - I wonder if there is something you could do with Skype?
    For sure you can call home with it from your PC, to save money, when possible. But there is Skype mobile for some phones, too. I have it on a Windows Mobile smartphone. If you have a Data Plan, I would think people could call Skype and your smartphone would ring? Haven't tried it, but it's a thought. At the least, they could call your regular cell number and you could call them right back on Skype.

LOTS of different phones (but I don't think yours, sorry)(next time?).

http://www.skype.com/mobile/

[Sorry for the late response, I don't always get notified of new posts.]

5. rajdude

You are right.....a few years back I got my Cingular prepaid in Fredricksburg, VA. They did not charge me anything....nothing for the SIM, no activation, but I think I paid $29 [or maybe $19] for a dumb phone. Also the phone came with a $25 worth minutes.

I still have that phone and the SIM. I wonder if it still will work if I put money on it.:D

But that was a 540 number, I dont want it.

BTW, I too have my eyes on the touch pro 2.
    What do you think about it?
    Where did you get it and how much $$$ [if I may ask? :eek: ]

I have looked at Samsung Omnia.........DOG slooooow!

6. rajdude

OK so I just activated my phone account with go-phone.

It is nice to see cellphone reception where I used to get absolutely nothing from T-Mobile! [same phone] :D
    I get 2-3 bars now!

By the way, I see an option of buying the data plan online too.
    Please see screenshot attached here.

Attached Files:

7. rajdude

Ok so I got my [dinosaur] HP H6315 up and running on gophone. I had to change some settings as per this page to get the internet working:
    https://www.wireless.att.com/support_static_files/KB/KB72070.html

The iPaq only have GPRS....so it is sloooow. But text based websites like google and my bank's mobile site work OK.

I do have a problem and I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Everytime I try to connect Yahoo messenger I get an error and then I get this SMS message:
    4700 Error Invalid Number. Prease re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code.
    and then there is some other stuff like my e-mail ID and other blah blah.

and oh yes.....I get charged 20 cents every time this pops up!!!

How do I fix this problem?

8. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Sounds like you are trying to connect using the IM application on your device. That application uses the SMS gateway to facilitate communication to the IM server.

You are getting dinged for the charge because its an SMS that you are processing everytime this comes back to you. You'll want to download another IM application that does Yahoo IM over IP (the internet) rather than the one you are using which uses SMS and IP.

9. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

That might be the same type account I originally got - Sounds familiar. I just know I walked out with a fully functioning (albeit dumb) phone and not a lot lighter on cash. It's served my needs quite well for a few years now, and the same plan continues to do so.

Probably...

Right HERE. :)

So far I'm quite happy with it. I'm still in a steep learning curve, jumping from Palm OS to WinMob, and I've a lot of migration / adapting yet to do. But overall it's going well and I do quite like the device!

10. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

Heh. That's where I am. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.