PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Edmund, I think you are still misunderstanding. Or I'm not being clear (always a possibility).

The plans that allow tethering are smartphone plans that allow, obviously, smartphones.

The plan that used to not allow smartphones was the 10 cents a minute plan, but that one changed to allow smartphone if they use Wi-Fi only. That plan does not allow tethering (it would be meaningless in that situation).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Okay, that makes more sense. I knew you meant that the new plan version allowed smartphones with wi-fi only, it was the tethering part I didn't understand.

3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873812/google-looks-to-become-a-mobile-carrier.html

I'd be more excited about this, but I imagine Google will want to cater to heavier data users to increase usage of their services. But it seems like they'd almost have to do something innovative to bother getting in at all and I'm at least interested in seeing what that might be. A Google Voice tie in, sprint style, would at least be different for an mvno. Will they try to leverage Voice infrastructure to eliminate calls/texts (basically not charging for data through hangouts like tmo doesn't charge for music streaming) and just sell data plans?

RickAgresta, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I dunno but it's worth watching.

As to scale, an industry article I read on the subject says that internally, Google's people are referring to this as an "experiment."

5. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I just noticed Gophone has "new" banners on many of their plans, so I went looking for the changes. They have upped the data amounts from what they used to be, even a month or two ago. The $60 plan now gets you 4GB LTE (with Tethering) while the $45 now gets you 1.5GB LTE. Also, all of their monthly plans are unlimited talk and text, even the $30 plan where you have to add data separately. And, since adding data to the $30 plan involves a cost of $5 per 100MB, if you use anything more than 200 MB, you are better off with the $45 plan.

I'm now using the $45 plan as, even tethering my TAB S, there is still no way I would ever use 4GB (I don't do a lot of streaming).

For details, just use the link in the quote.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I have one phone with a legacy plan that includes roaming in Mexico and Canada. For a time, it was very useful to me; but not now.

scjjtt likes this.
  7. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

So Google, like most MVNOs, wants to work with Sprint AND Tmobile. Usually, they choose one or the other. The problem remains that both are the most geographically-restricted carriers.

And now, ATT is loosening up as well, at least with GoPhone.

Meanwhile, Verizon maintains its usual arrogance, secure in its larger-than-anyone-else footprint.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  8. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Verizon will continue to be arrogant until someone outclasses them in the rural regions, where they have a virtual dominance. Then they will "gently meet terms" with the other carrier. Or more likely, prepaid will beat them first.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-wireless-plan-has-one-catch-1425598890 (possible paywall bypass, look for wsj link: https://www.google.com/search?q=Google+Wireless+Plan+Has+One+Catch)

Not that it has to stay that way, but that's one way to avoid overtaxing your pilot program.

Hook and jigwashere like this.
  10. thock

thock Mobile Enthusiast

I'm thinking seriously about Project Fi. I've got an invitation, and it won't expire. My dad has it. He sent me a copy of one of his bills. $20/month for unlimited talk and text and 24/7 support, $10/month for each GB of data. Whatever you don't use gets credited toward your next bill. You have to pay taxes and regulatory fees, but for him that came to $3.08.

Currently, I've got three phones on an off-contract post-paid family plan with AT&T. It's a 3GB plan, but they doubled the data through sometime in 2017 for the same price, and it has rollover. However, for those three phones, it's running me somewhere just under $140/month. I've got two Note 1s and a Captivate on that plan. The Captivate only because my SO baptized his Galaxy S3, and I haven't yet changed the screen for him.

If we bought the phones we needed, it would cost us a bunch of money up front, but I'm looking at having to replace one of those phones, anyway (one of the Notes is getting flaky).

I'm thinking of dropping one of the lines on the AT&T plan and switching it to Project Fi. The thing that stops me is that I have Google Voice numbers associated with all the Google accounts I would use for Project Fi, so I might need to set up new Google accounts in order to keep the Google Voice separate. If you sign up for Project Fi with a Google Voice account and elect NOT to use your Google Voice number, you lose it, and can never get it back. What I don't know is whether you can forward your Google Voice number to a Project Fi number. May have to do some experimenting with my Dad's phone.

Mi An, Hook and RickAgresta like this.