PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

I took a look at Tmobile coverage for the person's area. It seems the area supports only 2G, no 3G. Maybe thats why this person has poor service on his phone.

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Based on my own previous experience, I, too would have suggested T-Mobile, especially since I had that phone with them. Without knowing your location, it's hard to know what's available in your area.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Location, 17889, is central PA; t-mo doesn't do well there

4. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Yeah, looking at the maps AT&T has solid coverage all over that region, while T-Mobile has spotty 2G. A couple of providers you might want to look at are Cricket and Straight Talk. Cricket is an AT&T reseller, Straight Talk offers options for all four major carriers. Cricket offers $40 talk and text with 1 GB of high speed data (throttled after that, but if you've been on EDGE that's no big deal), Straight Talk offers a similar deal for $45 except you get 3 GB of high speed data

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Yep. Their map shows 2g in your area. Same here close to my home. Tmobile is expanding its 4g on its existing 2g towers but I expect it will be a long time yet.

6. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

It has been a while since I looked at the plan details on the Gophone site, but I was researching an answer for another thread and realized they have made a couple of nice changes. First, they no longer insist you can't use a smartphone on the $0.10/minute plan, simply that you can't use data on that plan and have to use WiFi only. I'm not sure how well they were able to police that policy anyway and this may be simply their admitting to that, but it is great they have made it explicit because this is a really good option for someone who want's a smartphone to simply be a PDA with a phone.

Second, they have explicitly authorized hot-spot tethering (using your phone as a hot spot for other devices) in all their smartphone plans. I generally did this freely anyway --I'm paying for my bucket of data, why should they care how fast I use it up or how-- but nice to have them agree with me explicitly. :)

I continue to regard Gophone as the best AT&T MVNO out there.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  7. Hook

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Odd that they allow tethering/hot-spots but don't allow a smartphone, which you could essentially use tethered to the PAYG phone, right?

9. Hook

You misunderstand. Those *are* smartphone plans. You can bring any smartphone to the plan. They are allowing you to use your smartphone on that plan as a hot spot for any other devices you have. So, when I'm commuting, my Nexus 5 in my pocket is providing wifi to my Galaxy Tab S 10.5.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Yes, but they don't really allow smartphones, only under the limited circumstances described. So you can tether from a regular PAYG plan , but you couldn't operate a smartphone nomrally, because you can only use the smartphone on wifi.