PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildwillie6

wildwillie6 Mobile Enthusiast

(I'm still sneaking along with AT&T prepaid getting 50MB of data monthly for $5 and paying by the minute for voice calls and texts on my old GoPhone plan, using a Nexus 4 that's great on Wi-Fi -- which is almost everywhere for me. I guess it's inevitable that some day AT&T will notice and cancel that plan but for now it works great. My wife says I'm cheap; still on 2-DVD-per-month Netflix for $4.99.)

Feature Packages:

Name Balance Effective Expiration
    Data 1034227 Kb 05/02/2014 05/31/2014

Best to all . . .

Mi An, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

Depending on your phone, they may take a very long time to notice. I don't think Gophone does a lot of policing if you are not a big consumer of data. Keep going for all you can.

At this point, I'm happy enough with my $40/month plan. I use about 150-200 MB a month, which is well short of my 500 MB allotment, but it works nicely for me and is easy. I have an LTE phone and even had to get them to give me a new LTE provisioned SIM, so no grandfathering for me. ;) I like the fact that Gophone, at least on a Smartphone plan, uses all of the AT&T network (as far as I can tell) rather than the reduced network that Pay-As-You-Go and MVNOs use.

Glad you've been able to stick it out. :newpalm:

3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Does that mean that roaming is included?

4. Hook

I've never had an instance of roaming on AT&T in the US. You can Roam in Canada and Mexico for a slightly higher per/min rate. So either Roaming is covered domestically, or AT&T doesn't roam in the areas I frequent. Generally, I either have coverage or I don't.

5. LandSurveyor

That was the major problems I had with the MVNOs. As a rule, they only work on the host network. GoPhone, being owned by ATT might not be subject to that.

My best results were when I was on Page Plus. Since it runs on VZW, roaming was moot since they have by far the biggest footprint. Still, now that I'm on VZW for real, I can look back and see that I had second-class citizen status. Coverage was the same but quality of service was not.

6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Here's just a plug for T-Mobile - especially if you have more than one phone:

"At T-Mobile, simple means one plan. With our Simple Choice Plan, every line gets:

- Unlimited talk, text & data while on our network with no overages. Ever.

- Up to 1 GB of 4G LTE data on the fastest nationwide 4G LTE network

- Unlimited international data & text in 120+ countries and destinations PLUS unlimited international texting from the U.S. to virtually anywhere*

- No annual service contracts" (taken from their web site)

That plan is $50 for 1 phone, $80 for 2 phones, $90 for 3 phones. We have 3 phones. We pay an additional $10 so our son has up to 3 GB before the data gets throttled. For us, it seems like a great plan and the T-Mobile coverage here in the Phoenix area is great!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Hook likes this.
  7. Hook

Actually, if you get good T-Mobile coverage and don't talk a lot, there is a plan that is only available on the web (and very well hidden ion their web site) that gives you 100 mintes talk, unlimited text and 5 GB data for $30. Details here.

Trouble for me is that T-Mobile has terrible coverage here. It looks like it is okay at a high enough level, but if you really drill down on the map the coverage is full of holes, one of them being my house. I tried T-Mobile and went right back to AT&T. However, if you do have good T-Mobile coverage, it is great.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Yes, that is a GREAT plan for an individual who doesn't talk much. In my line of work I use more minutes than that, so I need unlimited talk. Since we have great wifi @ home & basically everywhere on our church campus - I don't need to get the data that is coming off of the T-Mobile tower on our church property. :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2.0

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

That is a great deal, Scott, if the coverage for your location is good; everytime I look at their map, though, it just doesn't work for my home&work areas. Similar to what Hook said…

scjjtt likes this.
  10. LandSurveyor

I had that plan and liked it very well - as long as I was in town. Out at my house, the nearest tower was EDGE-only. That was bearable since I used wifi at home, if I used my phone at all.

5 gig for that price was sweet. I expect that in most metro areas, it does well. I know it works well in Atlanta and really rocked when I visited DC. I'm glad it's still available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.