PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

I have to admit I'm finding this quite amusing. In 2 months of rolling over, I've gone from 75Mb of data to 90Mb of data. That's right, adding 10 Mb every 30 days for $5, even with whatever I use, I'm actually increasing how much data I have every month. :D

2. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Heeheehee... Same here! :D

Even after being away from my normal WiFi stuff for a few day and playing with date-type-things, my plan rolled over and I'm ahead!

Fact is, I simply don't use much data - I have no use for it. It isn't something I need, so my $5/mo renewal won't have to be interrupted once or twice per year for the next step - My bucket is growing although I'm getting more than I need! ;)

OMG... If only I could find a BF like that... :rolleyes: :D

3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Just picked up on Prepaid Reviews: AT&T is adding a $50/mo. unlimited PAYG plan. But when I read through it, I realized that's only talk & text. You still have to add data.

I don't guess either of you guys talks that much so it might not be worthwhile.

4. Hook

AT&T already has that for $60 a month, so I guess they are starting to lower prices again.That would mean, for $75/month, you could have ulimited voice, text and 500Mb data. Or, for $65/month the same with 100Mb data.

5. Hook

6. LandSurveyor

I guess unlimited is in the eye of the beholder.

For the past several years, I've had a 300 min. talk, 400 text message plan and, even though I use both, I've never exceeded them. Cut it close with the voice a few times, but only a few. My messages sent/received run up to maybe 300 on a busy month.

Now, with this Page Plus stuff, I've got way more than that per month, in case I ever need them plus my 100mb data. That last is the only thing I need be careful with at all. I don't think my data rolls over like yours. Too bad.

7. Hook

As you say, even at $50, the unlimited plan makes no sense for me, but it is essential for my son. He is a heavy talker and texter and this gives hoim good value on a PAYG non-contract phone.

AT&T is very smart. They have created their own MNVO with Gophone (it is actually a somewhat separate busness unit from their regular cell phone unit, I believe) with good rates, bring your own phone capability and (in my experience) top-drawer CS. They even offer their own mid-level Android phones if you don't want to pay big bucks to bring your own. And they continue to pay attention to the service, improving it and lowering prices.

If you are in an area where their network is strong, as I am, it is a great option and seems to improve over time.

8. LandSurveyor

Yes, AT&T does keep a decent prepaid program. With Verizon, it's painfully obvious that theirs is a perfunctory effort and that they really want you on contract. I don't know what their problem is.

The merger should be good for PAYG customers, assuming ATT, as is usual with prepaids, only offers service on their own network and no roaming. Adding T-Mobile will give them access to virtually every GSM tower in the country.

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

For better or for worse, Verizon wants you bolted, mind-body-soul-wallet, to a contract. Contracts make sticky customers. Sticky customers don't ditch one PAYG solution for another, or cancel service, or seek out the cheapest way to do business.

AT&T takes a different approach, but AT&T has always had a more liberal network approach than Verizon. Doesn't make either right or wrong, but considering that both companies seem pleased with revenue and subscriber growth I don't think VZW is missing out any more than AT&T is giving away the farm.

10. martinmintz

martinmintz Newbie

What smart phone works weel with mercedes s550 2009 blue tooth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.