PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

There be no reception, out at see.
    Arr.

But for serious - thank you, Hook. I've been casually looking into this and not making much sense of it - this has been very helpful.

2. escolvert

escolvert Mobile Enthusiast

Hook,
    Great write-up. Thanks for the info. I too use my 5800 as a go phone. I didn't realize I could buy a separate data plan to go along with the voice plan.
    Elston

3. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

Glad this thread is proving useful.

I thought I would give a quarterly update as I have now been doing this just over 3 months and it has cost me an average of $20 a month, data and voice. This is a tad higher than my original projection, however, it is going to go down. First, I ran up an uncharacteristically large voice bill when I was in Seattle for a week. That sort of thing can happen, but doesn't happen to me very often.

Second, even with my not being all that careful about using data when I want to and there is no wifi around, I'm just not consuming that much (reinforcing the point people have made that paying for unlimited data is a bit over the top for many people). I'm down to 65 Megs after 3 months, but in fact I would be at about 75 but I decided to do an experiment with how much data streaming internet radio wold use. Yes, I knew that would not be practical in my scheme, but I wanted the data. Whomp. 10 Mb in 15 minutes. :eek: :D So I seem to be consuming about 5 Mb data/per month, which means the $5 rollover each month is going to last waaaaay longer than I projected. It will be quite awhile before I have to invest another $20 for data.

I'll update again when I hit months and we'll see how things are normalizing out.

I couldn't be happier with my arrangement. For me it works great. I have data whenever I need it.

4. rajdude

rajdude Mobile Enthusiast

1st...Thanks a lot Hook! I am going to try the ATT go-phone now.

2nd... Let me share my experience with t-mobile's prepaid service:

I have been on T-mobile prepaid for around 2 years now. I always get the $100 card which gives me 10 cents a minute, no daily fee and 1 yr expiration.
    Works out well for me since I use my phone very little……who to call?

Anyway, here are the details of the data side of T-Mobile prepaid service:

I have an old Smartphone – an HP iPaq H6315. It is a PDA.
    Unfortunately ,T-mobile actively denies any internet access on PDAs. :mad:
    You are supposed to get the VERY limited t-zones on phones bought from t-mobile….but nothing on PDAs and blackberries. This is very limiting!

As a result I am never able to go to any website on my PDA. However, yahoo messenger always worked ! ;) In fact, that is the only thing which works, MSN messenger also does not work. My PDA does not have 3G (it is a dinosaur from 2002!:eek: ) so it connects using GPRS.

When I called t-mobile about this problem, they told me that t-mobile actually denies access to the internet from PDAs and blackberries over a prepaid plan. The only thing which will get internet access over prepaid is their own phone called sidekick. :(

Oh by the way, SMS (texting) always worked and I did not notice how much it deducts per message….maybe it was free or insignificant. T-mobile’s website does not give you a detailed log of calls / sms messages. So it is hard to tell.

Well, after my last $100 card expired I started googling and landed here. I had been looking at ATT anyways but the local store was not 100% sure if I will get any internet access on my PDA. The guy said it “should work” but was not 100% sure.

This thread (and Hook’s posts) seem to confirm that I should get internet access on a gophone plan. So I am going to go ahead with ATT.

Thanks Hook and all. And hopefully my post will help people decide between t-mobile and att’s prepaid plans/data services.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

rajdude, welcome to Brighthand!

Just to clarify, the HP iPaq H6315 is a smartphone, thus not a PDA. I understand the reason why T-Mobile denies you internet access is not actually because of the model, or features, but because said carrier may have GPRS blocked to PAYG accounts. Yet, as a sideline, if you can log into Yahoo Messenger, you can indeed get connected; from the distance, I think the browser may benefit from some sort of adjustment, in order to visit any website. Anyway, the device's specs state that it has WiFi, so it may still proof useful to go online. Do not pay a lot of attention to the statements of many carrier reps; most of their speech is pre-lectured to lure you into a more costly plan, whatsoever. And if you ever ask if some complicate feature will work, if it's not configured out of the box, they'll always say the first thing that crosses their minds: no. Better, why don't you take a dive in the Brighthand sub-fora dedicated to Windows for Mobile devices, you may learn quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. rajdude

Thanks Hal !
    when I google.....

Smartphone:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

PDA:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_digital_assistant

IMHO, today smartphone and PDAs are synonymous with iPaq, blackberry or iPhone like devices.

Although in the past Microsoft called the phone which DID NOT have touchscreens – a smartphone. Other devices like my iPaq were called PDAs.

Going back to T-mobile’s policy.

I have talked to their reps many times………they have all told me that any blackberry, PDA, smartphone etc etc is specifically denied access to their t-zones internet service which comes with prepaid. Only phones with those small tiny screens and number keys will work……..and those will access only t-zones.

Another thing………GPRS is NOT blocked on PAYG t-mobile accounts. I can still connect (even right now) to GPRS and it works. I can confirm that by using yahoo messenger. I can chat with people that way.

Wifi is there but is pretty much useless. Who has open wi-fi anymore…pretty much no one. However, I do know that my local mall has open wifi….I have tried it ……….works fine. But that is the ONLY location I know my PDA is useful. Otherwise it is just a brick !

7. Hook

Welcome to Brighthand, rajdude.

Yes, my researches into T-Mobile led me to the conclusion that you really couldn't do this scheme with them. I am intrested how much my case generalizes to other device streams. AT&T has been great to deal with with my Nokia, I would hope they would be the same with WinMo. They obviously won't do this for an iPhone and I suspect one might have trouble with a Blackberry too (they might insist on having a Blackberry plan).

Do report back what happens. All data is helpful. :)

8. rajdude

Thanks Hook I am looking at ATT's site now.
    The local store wanted $25 for a SIM + activation.

I think if I get this Nokia gophone for $30 that way I will not have to pay the 25 activation fee and I get $15 in talk time for starters. (not reallly! that is only for pick your plan which starts at 29/month)
    I could sell the phone later on too.

BTW, the local store's guy told me that they do block blackberries on go-phone accounts. For that one has to get a blackberry plan or something.

I wonder how do they know the make/model of a GSM device trying to connect to their network? :eek:

9. Hook

There are others here who can probably answer that. I would guess by interrogating the IMEI number of the phone.

I'm not sure I would pay $30 to avoid a $25 fee, even if I thought I could make it back selling the phone, but that's just me. ;) I didn't see the free air card, but might have been my locality.

10. rajdude

Yeah, I just found out that $15 airtime is not really for PAYG. It is for "pick your plan"

So getting the phone is not attractive anymore. Might as well get the $25 sim locally.

Hey Hook, how did you get started with ATT go-phone?

Here is my problem now:
    Online....Their cart is not allowing me to add the data plan to the Pay as you go plans.

The "add services" button in the cart is greyed out.

That button gets active ONLY if I add the "pick your plan" option!

So does it mean that I cant add the data plans anymore to the PAYG service?

Maybe they changed the policy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.