PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r0k

r0k Dazed

Ok, this brings us to the root of the problem. She has been begging for an Android or iOS phone for over a year now. We have responded that her grades need to come up first. Part of this was Verizon's refusal to replace her broken phone promptly. I thought it was worth porting the line away to make a point.

It turns out I was right as her replacement VZW phone came in less than 24 clock hours. Not several business days. Less than 24 clock hours.

I also wanted her to see that the appropriate response to poor customer service is to take your business elsewhere. While it was a hassle porting her line twice in under a week, I think lessons were learned all around. I'll know better what to do next time I try to set up the kids on smartphones. She knows there really is no iPhone until her grades come up. Verizon knows they can't bully a customer into a new contract to replace a broken phone. At&t knows their parental controls setting for data doesn't work that well. BTW, I had already set it up to limit data before she chewed up almost a month's data in 2 days.

As for PAYG data for a kid. I think it could work if the 3G part of the phone could be RELIABLY locked down and then they'd have a wifi capable PDA and phone in one package and I'd be able to hold on to more of my money.

2. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

I decided to put this here. Thought it was relevant. I found this thread over at TiPB (The iPhone Blog) forum. It basically describes how you can get a PAYG plan on an iPhone 3G(S) without having to JailBreak or Unlock.

Interesting! I assume it is legit.

3. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

Link doesn't seem to work anymore. Maybe it wasn't legit? ;)

4. brickman65

Sorry. Try this one. It was double posted so they may have removed one of them. Of course the I tried to link too. :rolleyes:

5. Hook

Interesting. I will watch that thread.

The first piece of information I'd like to know is how long has he been doing it? It was never the case that the iphone wouldn't work on a Gophone Sim. The concern was that AT&T could discover that it was an iPhone being used on a Gophone Sim. That might take time. The apn change may work if it fools the network into thinking it is actually a legitimate contract SIM. I don't know enough about how these things work.

However, is paying $75/month that much of a savings? I've always contended that PAYG is only valuable if you have light usage demands. I suppose if you have enough financial instability that you don't want to be locked into paying every month, this might be useful, but if you are paying $75 a month, I'm thinking you might as well get a contract and not mess with what AT&T might or might not do to you later.

By the way, another thing that may help this person is that they go back to Cingular days. There is so much grandfathering for Cingular customers that AT&T may not be as fast to react.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of this thread, Brick. Anyone interested should probably join that forum and ask questoins in that thread, but please come back here to report findings. I will watch the thread as well.

6. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

I could go IPhone but would rather go Sony Experia Playstation which is only for Verizon. However the HP's new small version of the Pre/pixie/Verge which is available on Amazon for around $50 with no contract.

My ATT pay as you go is $25/ three months if I don't use up the 25 cents per minutes phone calls/ 20 cents per text plan. I would rather use wifi than a data plan except for emergencies....

7. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I've mentioned PagePlus here before, with the per kb data plan that works well for me. My biggest issue with them was their 120 day expiration period for minutes. They didn't even seem to have a longer option like most, if you buy the highest denomination of minutes, you can get a 365 day period.

Turns out, they do have a 365 day option in their $80, 2000 minute card. Which leads to PagePlus' other issue, poor support. I still can't find any reference to this longer period on PP's own website. Were it not for callingmart (a pin dealer), I'd have no idea. I even emailed callingmart to confirm it wasn't a typo on their site and searched for other users' experiences to confirm callingmart's confirmation was true.

Anyway, that makes my life easier. And cheaper. :D

8. brickman65

I thought the same thing when I first read through his post but when I started thinking about it, he is saving about 50% on a similar "activated" plan.

Unlimited minutes $100
    Unlimited SMS $20
    Data is a wash

So to have Unlimited voice and SMS, he has cut his bill in half and does not have a contract. Not bad.

I wish I could do this on an iP4 but with the MicroSimm it would be hard. i have heard of people cutting down regular simms to a Micro, but I would be nervous about that. Of course if the simms are free....:rolleyes:

9. wildwillie6

wildwillie6 Mobile Enthusiast

AT&T data stopped working on my unlocked Optimus T . . . not sure why. I had switched in and out my T-mobile prepaid SIM, which works fine. When AT&T came back, there was no data connection. Checked on APN's, and there was none for AT&T, so I added one back according to GoPhone SIM Card APN Address for AT&T? - Android Forums and cycled the power. Still no AT&T data.

Any ideas? Or, more to the point, if things are going right: shouldn't just putting in the AT&T GoPhone SIM and powering up bring back AT&T data?

Thanks to all, Bill

10. Hook

Not sure and can't experiment here at work where I have no signals. I've never had to add an APN. I just go to settings > wireless & network settings > mobile networks and search.

If you don't have it, download Quick Settings (free), pull up the "Mobile data (APN)" panel by hitting menu and customize (it's not one of the default panels) and then make sure it is turned on.

Probably if I couldn't get it working, I would take the SIM in to AT&T and tell them it isn't working. They should make you a new one. The problem could be with the SIM card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.