PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Not that it is of likely to be of any interest to anyone, but just in case...

My Auto-Renew 1MB data for the $4.99/mo hit last weekend. It was defaulted to the 10MB for the same price. And yes, my balance seems to be rolling over. So, like Hook, I'm now increasing my data bucket with no need to add the 100MB every 8-10 mos.

My PAYG cost just dropped, over a longer term. :D

[Aside]
    My work situation has changed rather dramatically in recent weeks. I'm supposedly being "assigned" a BB. We'll see how that goes... If it is as challenging as I suspect WRT "constant contact" and, specifically, WRT the keyboard and email, it will suck mightily. And I won't f*** around with it. I've got real work to do - I will NOT be bothered by anything the least bit annoying or which is an inconvenience. All I've heard is how wonderful BB's are for email. If not as easy and fast as my full-size laptop, I shall shoot that theory in the heart, and to he!! with anybody who has other ideas. :rolleyes:
    [/ASIDE]

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Spaceman

Is there any way to have a regular AT&T account (I.E. not GOPhone) and just add a PAYG data plan to it? Would I be able to get any smartphone at discounted price or would I have to get a full price, unlocked smartphone?

Assuming I renew my 2-year contract.

3. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

No, there isn't. You can't mix a contract plan and GoPhone features.

4. wildwillie6

wildwillie6 Mobile Enthusiast

I noticed a few things with the AT&T GoPhone plan changes:

https://www.paygonline.com/websc/rateplans/rateplan_en****p

Especially footnote 1: "Smartphone users must activate on Smartphone 10¢/min or Smartphone Unlimited Daily Talk & Text plan and purchase a Data Feature package to access the Data features on the device. Pay-Per-Use Data is not an available option for Smartphones."

which basically says we can't keep doing what we're doing.

(Am I right about that? Makes T-Mo Prepaid start to look good again.)

5. Hook

No, actually that doesn't change anything. It was added when they added their own branded PAYG Smartphones. It applies to their PAYG Smartphones (which have an AT&T branded ROM) and, even there, the only thing they are saying is you can't chose to use data without a PAYG data bucket rather than the .01 cents per kb or whatever it is (I have it somewhere in this thread). It changes nothing about a smartphone that doesn't have an AT&T ROM/Branding.

(I suspect but don't know that rooting and installing an alternate ROM might not be enough if the serial number of the phone is on the AT&T system).

I don't think there is any danger to what we are doing, at least at this time. Things can always change. I don't think they have yet.

6. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Allow me, if you will, to make another intrusion on your AT&T-oriented thread.
    Here is the latest pay-as-you go offering from T-Mobile, for comparison:
    T-Mobile Revamping Prepaid Plans On May 22nd

They have the $70 unlimited everything offering but the more interesting one for cheapskates is the $50 unlimited voice & text plus 100 mb data with a soft cap. This means you will get 4G for 100mb (rather like having a 200 mph car with a 2 gallon gas tank but....) and you will still get data but throttled. For data sippers, this really doesn't sound too bad. Especially since I'm currently paying $40 & change for 300 minutes voice and 400 text or picture messages.

7. Hook

Again, that's a good deal if you use that much of everything. I'm much happier paying $15/month.

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

My daughter's phone has been giving her grief since day 1. I had been to the Verizon store with her to try to get it fixed. Alas it was out of warranty and all they wanted to offer us was either a new contract or an insurance claim to get the thing replaced. As it was still working, sort of, we kept it.

Her phone broke completely last week. It would not even power on. So we went to the Verizon store again, with the same general results, except this time I asked how much ETF if we left for At&t. 75 bucks. That's astounding. We are within 3 months of the end of her contract with a non working phone and they want us to either pay an insurance claim and wait for a phone in the mail or sign a new contract for another piece o crap phone.

We went over to At&t and I got her an iPhone 3GS. She didn't deserve it. It wasn't the right time. But I wanted to avoid paying money for another janked hoopdie of a phone just to tide her over for 3 months. She loved it. And I mean she really loved it. I moved our lines to a new "family plan" and it was beginning to look like I might get away with moving all 4 of us to At&t with iPhones for less than I was paying on Verizon for 4 busted up janked up hoopdie phones.

Two business days into her new contract I got the text message that let me know this could never work. She had chewed through 65 percent of her 200 MB data in two days. Two days. I told her to watch her data usage and use only wifi. She decided the wifi was slower than 3G and switched off wifi. I know comcrap can be slower than dialup at times but it is usually faster than 3G. Still, she blew it. I called Verizon and started the process to get everything put back. Now I'm back on my old plan at At&t, easily making it under my 200MB cap. She has a new LG Env3 with a new 1 year warranty and the thing was overnighted for Saturday delivery. Paying the deductible over at Verizon was cheaper than paying for "Pro" data over at At&t. Sadly, her former iPhone 3GS is now back at the Apple store and if her grades ever come up we might pick it up for her once more, possibly with 3G data switched off in parental controls.

As for PAYG data, no teenagers need apply.

9. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

That's good story telling right there. Kids today... :D

10. Hook

So why didn't you do this the first time? ;) :rolleyes:

Clearly, as stated in post number one, this is not an approach that makes much sense for someone who is a heavy consumer of data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.