PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guywolffe

guywolffe Mobile Enthusiast

You can use a Blackberry on pay as you go. AT&T rules seem not to apply. Check out Crackberry to find how to

remove IT policy from your device. Then you can use the native Browser with wi-fi and data. You can not use

BBM or Email, but it works great for me.

Posted 08-24-2010, 10:34 PM
    I am using a BB8320 on AT&T. They are aware and do not care. I went with a BB8820 originally because I

worked at a Defense Company. They changed their policy about camera phones in 2008. They just ban all

phones in Classified areas. The 8820 is cheap on ebay and has gps that rivals solo devices.
    Wifi is what made me get both phones. You can quickly surf the web when needed.
    My main purpose is a PDA and music player. I have an 8 Gig Sd card in now.
    Check out ebay for good prices.

Posted 03-29-2010, 11:56 PM
    Great Thread. I have been using a BB8820 on Pay as you go since last year.
    Before that; a Treo650 on same ATT plan. The one bit of advice is on the 200 text plan. Send MMS instead of

SMS.
    Alternative to emailing someone is mms to their phone with text content. 1000 Characters vs sms 160

Characters. Plus they can then reply to the email address.

The not-so-secret secret here is that most wireless providers assign their subscribers an email address based

on their phone number. If you send an email to that address, it’ll get delivered as a text message—if you attach

a photo to that message—say, using the iPhone’s built-in photo emailing—it’ll get delivered as a picture

message. The trick is just knowing the address of the contact you want to send the message to. The folks at

Uneasy Silence have compiled a list of the most common providers.

Alltel = xxxxxxxxxx@message.alltel.com
    AT&T = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net
    Boost Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@myboostmobile.com
    Cingular (AT&T) = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.mycingular.com
    Einstein PCS = xxxxxxxxxx@einsteinmms.com
    Sprint = xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    T-Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net
    US Cellular = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.uscc.net
    Verizon Wireless = xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com
    Virgin Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@vmobl.com

And to make it even easier, you can just enter this address as an additional email in your contact’s address

record.

For receiving messages, the same principle works in reverse. Your iPhone, after all, has a robust email client

built-in. And just like the wireless provider has email addresses for every phone, most phones can send text and

picture messages to email addresses. So instead of having your friend send that snapshot to your phone, have

them send it to any email account that you have set up on your iPhone.
    *777# - message with your balance at no charge.
    *777*1# -text message with your nights and weekend minutes balance.
    *777*2# -message with your remaining text messaging and picture/video messaging
    *777*3# -message with the remaining kilobytes available as part of Data Package.

2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Guywolfe, what does it mean to 'remove IT policy' on a BlackBerry?

3. guywolffe

If you bought a Blackberry on EBay and are unable to make changes to the settings or install Third Party Applications. You have a Blackberry that was previously connected to a company's Blackberry Enterprise Server. BES. This is known as IT policy. It is a similar to jailbreaking an iPhone or rooting an Android phone. You also can remove the vendor.xml. Each carrier put their special themes and service books on their blackberries. This hinders using a tmobile phone on AT&T.

4. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

Thanks for all the great information, guywolfe! :)

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Yes, thanks. I probably wouldn't have bought a used BB; but it's good to know that even if I delete that stuff, my BB is hobbled by losing those fairly important functions. A BB without BBM or email is seriously hobbled.

6. guywolffe

I beg to differ. SMS is adequate because only a few of my friends really use BBM outside business use. Not having email is not an issue as you get check more email accounts via web use. This is to avoid the high cost of a BB plan.
    Also refer to using MMS as an alternative to using Email. Remember everything I cited is to use pay as you go as cheaply as possible. A Palm, Nokia, or android can get email well, but most of us really only use type small messages. Also I use Outlook and sync all my data to the BB.
    Blessings
    Guy

7. Hook

AT&T has just changed it's Gophone Data Feature Packages. It hasn't been fully propagated because I can't find a link to this information anywhere on the regular gophone information pages, but it now appears on the feature package options in my account. It probably coincides with the forthcoming release of the first Gophone smartphones.

The data packages now are:

10 MB $5 (formerly was $4.99 for 1Mb)

100 MB $15.00 (formerly $19.95)

500 Mb $25 (This tier didn't exist before)

Essentially, data just got cheaper and you can get more of it. :)

8. wildwillie6

wildwillie6 Mobile Enthusiast

Hook, I just noticed that on my Gophone account too. Might spring for 500MB next time, but here's something I was wondering: Does that smallest package still preserve rollover data for 30 days? (Key to making this strategy work.)

I'm really enjoying Android on my Optimus T with Gophone service -- Google Maps with voice nav is great!

9. Hook

It should. The one MB package did. Any data package purchase should roll the data over. I'll be renewing my data with the 10MB next Friday. I'll certainly report if anything funny happens.

10. Hook

It does indeed work. Here's the ironic thing. With my present usage schemes, I use less that 10Mb a month... which means that now I will actually start increasing how much Data I have available each month. This would mean, if I don't change, I will never have to reseed the account... I just rollover for $5 a month forever and my actually amount of Data available keeps increasing. :newpalm:

Clearly shows they just can't conceive of someone using less that 10MB of data monthly. :p

I'll be away on business for the whole first week of may. I may play around with different uses of data than my standard model as I will be around wifi less. I will basically play around with, if I had to do it with data would I. At these rates, why not find out. Is it just a convenience? If so, I'm not interested in paying for it on a regular basis. Or is it actually useful (for me)? At these new rates, I would be more likely to consider upping my usage.

We shall see. ;) :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.