PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildwillie6

wildwillie6 Mobile Enthusiast

A few weeks ago I wrote: "I would love to get Google Maps with voice nav plus other Google integration" and at the time I was looking at a Nexus S ($529 at Best Buy, no contract). I came really close to going that way -- in fact, when I got a coupon for 10 percent off non-contract phones, I went to Best Buy to pick one up, only to learn that in the fine print it did not apply to unlocked phones. (Therefore it was only for no-contract, carrier-locked phones.)

I ended up paying under $200 for an unlocked LG Optimus T. I've been trying it out the past few days. So far, oddly enough, it works great with my AT&T GoPhone SIM and not so well on the T-Mobile network -- but then, it was intended as a T-mobile contract phone. I assume further tweaking of settings will bring it up on the T-mobile network. Just in the time I've been messing around with this, I notice that T-mo now offers this same phone for prepaid.

Anyway, my same strategy is working well. Most of the time I'm on my home or work Wi-Fi, so my AT&T data usage is small. And now Google Maps works everywhere, even if the connection out in the field is slow. Apparently Google Maps just needs *a* connection, not a fast connection.

2. Timber2011

Timber2011 Newbie

New poster here. Just got done browsing this forum and this thread in particular. Want to thank Hook and everyone for providing so much info.

I am looking to get my first smartphone and after about a week of research, quickly came to the conclusion that unlocked, unbranded is the only way to go along with PAYG.

Where I live, the only real options for good reception (in general) are ATT and Tmob. So I went to the Att store and this is what I was told:

1) For the Gophone PAYG, the feature data packages are designed to work with dumbphones only, not smartphones. Is this true? The sales rep. said it's possible that a smartphone might work but couldn't guarantee it.

2) He also told me - and maybe I misunderstood him - you can't add an feature data package to PAYG. Want the data package, must get one of those nationwide monthly calling plans. And of course, smartphone required to get a data plan.

I tried to explain to him that I was getting an unlocked smartphone but don't think he heard me. My situation is such that I only need a little of everything and am considering either the $2/day or simple rate plan. Still not sure as to how data use but it would be mostly email. Am near Starbucks, etc. so wifi not a problem if I wanted to do streaming, etc.

So if I heard right - standard PAYG is ok with using smartphone for data (0.1 kb/use) but want to pay $4.99 for 1MB data package is not allowable / can't be used?

Please sort me out here. And no phone has been purchased yet but am looking at midrange - maybe under $400?

3. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

Welcome to Brighthand, Timber2011. :)

You basically got a clerk who had no idea what he was talking about. Everything he told you was wrong. Buy the SIM, have them activate it with some initial dollar value. Go home and set up account management on the web (that's easiest) or call 611. Add feature package. I've been doing this for two years with 2 different smartphones.

I really would consider starting out with the 100Mb package and then rolling it over with the 1 Mb package each month unless you *really* think you will use less than 1 Mb a month. I Mb is easy to use up by accident.

4. Hook

Okay, time for my bi-annual update, although there isn't much new to add this time.

I am now leaving 3g turned on all the time except at work. Since there are no signals available at work, the phone chews through my battery like nobody's business looking for a signal if I leave it on. Otherwise, 3G is always on in case I want to use Lookout's phone tracker. If I lose it at work.

So, what is consumption like with 3g always on. I still can't seem to use up more than about 6 Mb a month given how unimpressed I am with internet and email on a 3.7" screen. If I need information right that moment, I do it, but otherwise it can wait for a proper size computer. However, it is nice having weather updated, being able to sync and other things. Passive use (just stuff going on in the background) might m\be as much as 1-1.5 Mb-- not enough to concern me.

I'm still at a maximum of $15/month, and that's if I do a lot of voice, which most of the time I don't. And $5 of that is rolling over messaging just for my Son, even though I barely use my allotment. At $.20 per send an $.20 per receive, it most of the time works out cheaper to spend the $5 rolling over.

I really don't know what I'd do with a data plan. :rolleyes:

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I love it, Hook! :) Do you use WiFi, much? I never use WiFi -- only 3G -- and I manage to use about 300MB/month. I really don't consider myself a heavy data user. I never stream audio or video, email is a terrible experience on this thing, and I don't do a huge amount of browsing. I mostly download RSS news feeds, which really shouldn't use that much data, either.

6. Hook

Yes, I do use wifi at home. All downloading is done via wifi, including ROMS, what have you. Again, that stuff can wait until I'm home. I probably do about 150Mb/month of wifi. :)

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I brought my TX to the office yesterday, filled with plucked articles. I like having a data plan, but could easily live without it. If it weren't for my cheap Sprint contract, I think I'd be on a PAYG plan. Thanks for all this great info!

8. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Yes, thank you. I don`t think I`d be a big data user either after the initial period. Like you, I`d do my heavy stuff on wifi Android sideload content at home. I think in that oight, the 100mb Page Plus allows might be plenty.

9. ModusPwnd

ModusPwnd Newbie

An older post in this thread mentioned that GoPhone would not work with a blackberry. Is that still the case? I cant buy an unlocked Blackberry and use GoPhone with it?

Thanks for making this thread. This is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for, for my first smartphone. I believe I want a blackberry because I like the physical button, qwerty keyboard, wi-fi and GPS. Is there a different phone that works with GoPhone that has all or most of these features?

Thanks for your advice!

10. Hook

Welcome to Brighthand, ModusPwnd. :)

Don't remember that discussion. It might work if it is unlocked and not AT&T branded, but I doubt you could use the normal RIM services. I don't know enough about BBs and their service infrastructure to really know or if AT&T can sniff them out like it can the iPhone. Wish I had better information.

You could look for a GSM Droid Pro (Portrait Qwerty) or an HTC G2 (Landscape QWERTY). Since they are international, they may only get Edge and not 3G here. If you are mostly using wifi, that doesn't really matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.