PAYG dataplan can work.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Several chat clients including AIM and Google Chat will let you send text messages for free (if wifi), so in my attempt to save a few calls and maybe make that access fee plan workable, I'd probably use one of them.

It does suck that you have to pay for incoming texts. Big time, but that's true under my current plan too.

As for VOIP, I think it could definitely save some dough when used on wifi.

I don't want to beat a dead horse or anything, but there are two kinds of blogs. The ones that cover primary news sources which are updated constantly, and the ones that create unique content rather than recycling. Most are a mixture of the two, but many blogs that are purely original content aren't updated that often, and aren't expected to be, but they're still an extremely valuable resource. Basically if you blogged these kinds of guides when you thought of them (or after you posted them here and then refined them through feedback), you'd just put the guides up and let them be.

Putting these guides on a blog would make them less likely to get lost in the shuffle like they can be on a forum with 10s of thousands of posts, and makes it easier for searchers to find valuable information (via google).

Make your first full post (or series of posts) on converting to a pay as you go lifestyle both voice and data, and I'll bet you, I don't know, something, that I can get you some link love from Lifehacker, maybe Engagdet Mobile too. Your stuff is well-written and answers a lot of questions that I haven't seen covered before.

It's work, and I don't blame you for not wanting to do that for free, but it's not much more than you've already done, and it 1) gives you a platform 2) let's you control your content more fully 3) opens up opportunities as there are now tons of payed blogs, and while it takes years (if ever) to get reasonable sums of money off your own blog, your body of work may convince someone else to hire to contract with them.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Pirates call them planks, not platforms. :rolleyes: :D

Go for it, Hook!

3. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

Well, I do have my own domain and server and I already have the TX page. Let me give it some thought. :rolleyes:

4. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Cool.

Does your server have mysql and php? Those tend to be the requirements for a blog software package.

5. o3v3tz

o3v3tz Mobile Evangelist

Thanks Hook. I had not realized that the money came out of money already on the phone, so that info was very useful.

I have a Nokia 6126 cell phone as a PAY as you Go which I had occasionally connected to my TX when WIFI was not available. I just purchased the feature package and that will make the cost much more reasonable - especially since I never use all my money on minutes.

Barb

6. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I've been starting to look at TMobile's pay as you go plan. Their no daily access fee plan allows you to purchase 1000 minutes for $100, as opposed to 400 with ATT, and the same 365 day expiration period.

It appears to come with free tzones/web2go, but I'm not clear on what features that has, for instance, if it allows checking email or movie listings.

7. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

I'm happy with AT&T. When I've researched T-Mobile, I've never seen clear information that thay have data plans for pre-paid (if you find clear information, provide a link). Also, I believe T-Mobile has greater differences between thei pre-paid network and their contract network. They do have a data map for pre-paid (so you would think they would offer a data package), but coverage is poor and 3G almost non-existent.

Ultimately, of course, it has to do with what works best in your area. My case is just that, my peculiar case. :)

8. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I can't find links to a real data plan (other than the sidekick unlimited prepaid), but the freebie tzones does provide limited access, I'm just not clear on how much. Tzones itself was an uber-limited plan (with unlimited access) with wap access to specific sites and doesn't exactly exist anymore--replaced by web2go, a less restrictive plan that, on contract lines, has set data limits. The prepaid documentation is very ambiguous and I think is just flat out of date, and a lot of support articles contain broken links to articles about the plans.

If you go here there's a javascript popup link with some info about web2go, but it's still unclear about what access it provides--though I'm sure any web content is WAP or something--and what exactly is provided free with the prepaid plan is unclear.

If I try it, I'll let you know. Right now I'm pretty strongly considering paying an ETF to go to TMobile, or at least threatening to to get my etf discounted while going to ATT prepaid. Based on my last 18 months usage, even accounting for the etf, I could save $200 in the next 12 months. The data would be a nice perk, but I'm not going to choose service based on it until I get a TP2, if then.

I already checked the prepaid voice map for my area, and it's, surprisingly, as good as ATT's. I never seriously considered TMobile before, and I think the last time I checked, their coverage in my area was terrible.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Mi An, make sure you drill down and see the most detailed info you can on the coverage map. Sometimes they 'bleed' coverage areas together to look like full coverage; when in fact the true coverage looks more like a Georges Seurat painting up close. Not to mention the fact that carriers may 'fudge' the info to begin with.

10. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Good advice. But one of the nice things about prepaid: if it sucks, I'm not stuck with it. If I go with a new carrier, I intend to start with a tiny number of minutes, even though it costs more per minute, then run around town calling people and asking "can you hear me now?" :) I think most wireless contracts give you 30 days to try it and cancel too though.

If I stay with ATT and use their prepaid, I'm less worried. Although in some areas, their prepaid coverage differs a lot from the contract coverage, in mine, they look identical. Even up-close.

Now I just have to gin up my courage and play chicken with an ATT cust srv operator. I think I'll watch Samuel Jackson in The Negotiator before I call, for tips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.