Pay as you go on smartphones?

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by WesMan, Nov 5, 2011.

1. WesMan

WesMan Mobile Consultant

Hey was wondering if you can get a pay as you go plan with smartphones? some of the data on the AT&T website seems to say you cant but wasn't sure.

from AT&T

"A compatible phone (not a data-only device) is required. Not all features work on all phones and in all areas."

2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Take a look at this thread.

http://forum.brighthand.com/smartphones/268235-payg-dataplan-can-work.html

There is a lot there (has been running for 2.5 years), but it is worth going through. Start with the updates linked in the first post, but read through the discussions.

GoPhone now has a couple of mid-range smartphone it offers, but I personally think you are better off getting an unlocked higher end model. As long as it is not theirs (AT&T ROM) or an iPhone (I still believe, but some have disagreed), you can use it as a Gophone.

3. WesMan

WesMan Mobile Consultant

Hmm well I was planning on trying it with a HTC aria I have. Guess il give it a try and see what happens. thanks for the link though hook I'l look it over

4. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

AFAIK AT&T requires a data plan with a smartphone. You may be able to get by with a pay as you go plan on other carriers.

5. Hook

Stan, My Nexus One is a Gophone. As long as it is unlocked and not AT&T branded (AT&T ROM), you are fine. I just buy a 100 MB data bucket and then roll it over with a 10 add-on each month. See the thread I linked.

6. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

This is related. I got an older generation smartphone, I don't use data plan, and it's locked with At&t. So I don't see why an older generation smartphone can use pay as you go..

7. Hook

You are right, if the smartphone is sufficiently old. However, if the IMEI number is still in their databases, as I understand it, they can detect it and require a contract when they do. Whether that applies to using data I don't know. It may be there is no problem when only using voice.

However, policy-wise, you can't use an AT&T contract phone as a Gophone. I just don't know how effective their ability to detect is or how long it might take. My Nexus One is fine and they even know I have it. It's not an AT&T phone (although it has the right radio frequencies) and they don't have the IEMI in their system.