Password Manager for Symbian?

Discussion in 'Symbian' started by MSL, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSL

MSL Mobile Evangelist

I generated a .CSV file from Passwords Plus and attempted to import it with SplashID Desktop. A real pig's breakfast. Actual PW's appeared as categories, and nearly everything was so out-of-place that I gave up.

So, I decided to try the old cut & past approach. Fortunately, I decided to check progress after doing only a few items. SplashID will export in two SplashID formats, but the SymbianOS app will only read the older (v3) format files. Regrettably, the older format didn't transfer the customed fields which I built on the Desktop version.

So, I'm back to square one. Passwords Plus by Dataviz on my Palm and PC has been so very nice. You read and write to either platform, and it syncs up perfectly. I'm finding no near equivalent for Symbian. And that's what I need.

Is there ANY PW Manager that will let me at least manually exchange data between my E71 and my Desktop? I don't demand that it sync, though that would be nice. Such a convenience doesn't exist, AFAIK, for Symbian PW managers.

I've saved this part of my data migration till last because I just knew it would be a pain, and it is. But, I'm at least motivated to make it work as that's the last bit to do before I can turn my Palm TX off for good.

Suggestions? Thanks.

2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

There are two pieces to this.

First, getting old records in. When I had my 5800, I tried all the password managers and all export formats. All claimed to import at least one format I could export in (from Splash ID-- S60v5 did not have a Splash ID client). All failed miserably. I gave up and ended up fat fingering all my old records into the client I chose.

That said, I ended up chosing SBSH Safewallet Pro. It is a great program with an excellent Desktop client and syncs very smoothly. I loved it. There is a free trial period, so you can test it out.

There seems to be no real cure for the import-export troubles among these clients.

3. MSL

MSL Mobile Evangelist

Hook,

Thanks. Looks good. I also found something called Handy Safe Pro, which also promises syncing between my PC and Phone. I'll give both a try.

4. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I tried both. I liked both, but for some reason I don't quite remember I ended up liking Safe Wallet Pro better. Both sync well. Indeed, try them both.

Handy tends to be a little over-priced. However, this is one of their better apps. Most of their apps tend to add eye candy, but have about the same functionality as the Symbian apps they replace. Since Symbian doesn't have a real Password safe, Handy Safe Pro is the exception.

5. MSL

MSL Mobile Evangelist

Right now, the two apps seem priced the same. But, Safe Wallet is in the lead with me. Handy Safe has an Android version, but I suspect Safe Wallet might soon. The PC version of Handy Safe crashed repeatedly while trying to save a customized template. That was quite enough to provoke an uninstall on both the PC and the Nokia. Before that, it looked good.

Safe Wallet seems to permit easier customization of Templates; Handy Safe refused to let me just delete fields from (copied) pre-defined templates. I could rename them and change the data type, but that was a nuisance.

Only issue w Safe Wallet is that there's something either on the Nokia or within the Symbian Safe Wallet app that won't accept my favorite strong PW. It works on the PC, but not on the Phone. I tried first changing the PW on the Phone app -- it just closed the app. No error message. I then changed it on the PC, synced, and then tried my old PW on the phone -- got the expected Wrong PW error message -- and then entered the correct one. The app just closed w/o any message. My PW consists of upper and lower case text, numbers and a few printable special characters (i.e., ; : ? &). Don't know if it's the length or the non A-N characters.

6. Tam Hanna

Tam Hanna Mobile Deity

Hi,
    if you have a touch device, send me a PM and I will have a real cookie for you.

With compliments
    Tam Hanna

7. hirokiito

hirokiito Mobile Enthusiast

I was looking for the same app!

Thank you! It is helpful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.