Palms design flaws.

Discussion in 'Palm' started by DerekD, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekD

DerekD Mobile Consultant

Hello All,

This is my first time posting here but I read the posts each day. I dare say I have learned quite a bit by doing so, thanks.

This is the issue I have with Palm. While I love my T-3, the chargers and cases seem to have designed by throwing a bunch of different parts together that go with other devices. For example, the cradle has two little nubs that lead one to think that the handheld rests upon them for stability, good idea. Until you look and find that the nubs don't even make contact with the device! So now I'm, left with a handheld that wobbles around like it has a loose lug nut. So I purchase the Traval Charger from a large chain of office supply stores only to find that I spent 39.99+Tax for a charger that pops out of the bottom of my device if I do so much as blink! So then I call Palm to ask if there's anything they sell so that I can charge up the unit with a minimum of frustration. They sent me a new cradle that stilol has worthless nubs on it. So I just stuck some velcro pads along the base on either side of the contact poiint and It seems more secure.
    So last weekend I purchased a palm hard case, I don't know the model but it's pretty stout and has a flap glued into it. In order to charge my T-3 when it's in the case you must saw off the plastic tad on the bottom side of the traval charger contact plug. now that traval chjarger works and works well. But what gives? Why must these things be modified? Someone fell asleep at their desk up there at Palm . Are there any other problems with their accesories that the unsuspecting consumer should know about?
    As for the T-3 it'self? There aint nothin better!

2. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Welcome out of the shadows and into Brighthand, DerekD :)

3. madkins007

madkins007 Mobile Deity

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 'Universal Connector'.

Cradle: I am not sure what you are talking about. On my T3, it sits down fully and securely on the two nubs which serve as guides to line everything up. Even in the E&B case, it lines up perfectly on either of the two cradles I routinely use.

Travel cords and accessories: Third party stuff fits haphazardly, with 'generic' stuff from eBay, etc. fitting the worse overall. The charge-only cable I use in my car fits OK, but I need to hold it in if I put any tension on the cord. My generic travel sync/charge USB cable does not stay in on its own at all. The situation is only a little better if you try major name brand supplies (Belkin, Siedio, etc.)

The problem is that 'Universal Connector' isn't quite and that some companies are not realy bothering following the specs anyway.

If you think you are having problems, Zire 71 users have it far tougher! The Z71 does not even sit on the Palm cradle well!

4. PumiceT

PumiceT Mobile Consultant

My T3 (which I got within the first week of its release) doesn't sit in the cradle very well, either. It needs to be rocked to one side to sync, and more straight up and down to charge. The travel sync/charger cable works much better for me.

5. icebalm

icebalm Mobile Deity

I wish people would quit using the term "design flaw" when they obviously have no clue as to what it really means.

If your palm doesn't sit right on two cradles than the UC on the bottom of your palm is screwed. This is not a design flaw, this is a defective unit.

6. GeorgeP

GeorgeP Mobile Deity

Not necessarily.

In principle this can be characterized as a either a design flaw or manufacturing defect. There are always manufacturing variances. High quality manufacturing will reduce variances. However, good design will give the products manufactured a higher tolerance for that variance. i.e., they will operate within spec within a wider variance window.

The convention is to characterize the issue as a design flaw if units within the manufacturing variance exhibit the issue and a defect if only units outside of the manufacturing variance do. My cradle has the same issue (it doesn't really bother me, but doesn' t have the precision feel of earlier palms).

Unless you know what the operating spec is and manufacturing variance and have sampled a statistically signifcant number of units, how could you know if it is a defect or design flaw?

G

7. DerekD

DerekD Mobile Consultant

Madkins007-

The "nubs" (for lack of any imagination on my part) re outboard of the connector thingee. They are on the "Ledge" approx 1/2 from the nubs that you refered too. I suppose I wrote too soon as well because now my midified traval charger moves around to the point that if the sound is on and I'm holding the computer it sounds like I'm playing pong!

8. tomthemacman

tomthemacman T|C Aficionado

I know what your problem is. You see those metal prongs on the cradle/charger/whatever? Bend them out a little. Not too much. Your palm should now click into place and stay put. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.