PalmPilot Personal OS upgrade

Discussion in 'Palm' started by omi, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omi

omi Mobile Enthusiast

Hi

I've recently got hold of an old PalmPilot Personal and was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the OS, it's older than Palm OS 3 and has limited functionality.

Is it possible to upgrade the memory also ?

Any help is highly appreciated.

TIA
    Omi

2. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

Hello Omi.

Out of the box, it is not possible to upgrade a PalmPilot Professional from Palm OS 2.x to 3.x.

It is possible to mount a Palm III motherboard inside the PalmPilot Professional case. At that point, you would be able to upgrade the device all the way up to Palm OS 4.1.

Alan G

3. omi

omi Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks Alan for your reply.

After I had posted my question, I looked the web and found that a couple of years ago, Palm had released a 2mb upgrade card for PalmPilot Pro/Personal. The card has Palm OS 3 on it and also has a IR port.

A lot more digging resulted in the info that this card is apparently still available and a lot cheaper now. On eBay the card is available for about $13 (including shipping) and now has Palm OS 3.5 on it. It is claimed that the card has a flash memory so you can upgrade the OS as and when new versions are released.

All this sounds very good but I'm located in India and the only way I can get it is when some friend is returning from there and he can bring it along with him (which is a pretty long and tedious process). So before I tell my friend to buy it for me, I just want to be sure that the upgrade works and won't fry my Palm when I use it.

If you have any information/ feedback on the 2mb upgrade, I'd love to know more about that.

Thanks
    Omi

4. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

This is a little late, but I had a 2MB upgrade card in my Palm Personal about 5 years ago. It had Palm OS 3.0, but it worked perfectly. 2MB of RAM, Flash ROM, and an infrared port. It comes with a new memory compartment door which has a sort of wedge-shaped protrusion to make room for the IR port.

5. omi

omi Mobile Enthusiast

Hi Tom

I've got the 2mb upgrade now and have installed it. Works fine, except for the IR port. None of the IR applications that I tried seem to work. They all give the error that some other application is using the IR port and they cannot initialize the IR.

Ah well, can't win them all :-(

But now my palm has 2mb memory and OS 3.5 :)

Omi

6. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I beam anything so rarely that I probably wouldn't miss having IR. The gain (more memory and higher OS version) is still worthwhile. I'm glad it works! (My wife is still sort-of-using my old Personal with the 2MB card, so they are pretty reliable too.)

7. omi

omi Mobile Enthusiast

Hi

I was looking forward to trying out some apps that would allow me to use the IR in the Palm as a remote control for the TV and audio system ;-)

Otherwise I also dont need to actually beam anything.

Omi

8. joc

joc Newbie

Hello this sound's very interessting.

I have the same problem like omi.

But I am not be able to find an location where to buy the 2MB upgrade with PalmOS 3.5 .

Can anybody give me a hint?

Thanks a lot

Joc

PS: I'am living in Germany

9. omi

omi Mobile Enthusiast

Hi Joc

The ONLY place in the world ;-) where u can get the 2mb upgrade is www.ebay.com and that's where i got it from.

It's about $10 at present + $6 for shipping within USA, would be a little higher for shipping to Germany. And when I checked today, the provider is giving 2 free palm pilot stili free with the upgrade card.

I've installed the card and am quite happy with the 2mb memory + OS 3.5. The only drawback is that even after tinkering a lot I've not been able to get the (IR port on the upgrade card) to work :-(

I've not been able to find the cause of the problem but I suspect that it may not be limited to only me.

Omi

10. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Mobile Evangelist

Hi,

I seem to remember something when 3.5 was released about it breaking the IR port on the 2mb upgrade cards for older units; this was related to the fact that the 3.5 OS has fuller support for the IR standards than previous versions, I think Palm finally supported the whole IRCOMM standard with this release.

Don't think there was anything that could be done as Palm only officially supported 3.5 on Palm III and above.

Just did a search of their knowledge base but can't find anything now; I might see if I can find some old documents relating to it.

Gary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.