PalmOs Revitalization

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by lukemjennings, Aug 16, 2015.

1. lukemjennings

lukemjennings Newbie

Team, all,

After many years, I've decided to take out the PalmOS powered T|X.

Few items of note here, the good:

1. The interface is very fast, programs and utilities load quickly.

2. The resolution aint all that bad. I can load my PDFs and use it as a pocket E-Reader.

3. PIM, I need this thing to be useful and that it is...
    The Bad:

1. Blazer is broke, I'm not sure I can get any sites to load, is there a modern alternative

2. No "apps" there's plenty out there just not in this universe.

3. Stuff works, it's a powerful device, there just no modernization.

The Ugly:
    1. I'm not sure there's any holdouts for these devices. Looks like the PalmOS platform for the most part has been completely abandoned by Palm and its user groups.

2. Per above, there's plenty of forums of converting the T|X to a SIP phone with a hacked internal speaker, google maps, and other stuff. But...
    3. Palm made a serious mistake to leave it's users, developers, and general base by not continuing in the vein of PalmOS. It's actually badass. They just decided to go in a whole new direction, on a different platform and reinvent the wheel.

It had plenty of apps, it just needed a facelift and web-integration. Shame.

So, questions:
    1. Is there an online repository of programs of yore? There's many broken links in this universe.

2. Is there any active (basement) developers?
    3. A Facebook page?
    4. A re-insurgence, hipster movement? I think that the T|X or other modern PalmOS devices could hang has a modern-ish device that could browse, twiter, youtube, and googlemap itself to relivence, it just needs developers behind it.

z22 2006 User likes this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Software online:
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/ -- depends on where the zip/prc is hosted, as to whether the link works to DL or not; if *not*, try that URL at the internet archive, you may luck out

really, all I did was a quick&dirty Google search for PalmOS apps, lots of things for you to check out:
    https://www.google.com/search?num=3...0.0....0...1c..64.hp..1.13.2124.0.oo6z56H9E7I

Blazer: works on my TX; keep in mind that TX is very picky as to what flavor wifi signal your router offers…iirc, best is 802.11b; some mixed-mode routers (802.11b/n, an example of mixed mode; might work, don't know) won't work, some will. As to sites that are useable, hit & miss…mostly miss, I'm afraid.
    Replacement browsers -- none that I can think of that are both available & polished

As much as I agree with some of your conclusions, I'm afraid that unless there is money to be made, PalmOS development is dead..which reminded me of another software site, since Dmitry Grinberg made a dollar or two: http://palmpowerups.com/

lelisa13p, Mi An, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, lukemjennings

There are several TX users in this forum. Very few still use them as a primary device, but lots of us still have fully functional TXs (or other PalmOS devices). I have three TXs, one of them still loaded with apps and data from several years ago. If you need help with your TX, this is thre right place for it. There are several hardware mods you can do to it: larger/extra batteries, vibrating motor, internal/external microphone, telescopic stylus, etc., which will make your TX more useful for you.

Blazer never was a very good browser IMO. Even back in 2007 it was very limited in functionality, and I wouldn't consider it suitable for browsing now. There were a few replacements, but as Rick said, they've disappeared from the scene. Same thing with apps, most PalmOS developers have discontinued their apps and closed or abandoned their websites, meaning apps are hard to find. When that trend became obvious I started to save the apps and installers on my computer, and I still have most of them. I can help you with them, but keep in mind that most shareware and payware apps were tied to the hotsync name, meaning you won't be able to register them.

I don't know of any PalmOS developer who's still active. I wouldn't expect any to pick up the job either. Dmitry Grinberg used to be one of the most active developer, and even he released all his apps as freeware some years ago, when he stopped developing for PalmOS.

That said, I agree the TX is a great device. The resolution is very good for reading, although PDF is not the best format for the TX, as rendering pages requires too much dynamic heap memory and a fast CPU. I used to read a lot on my TX but I converted ebooks to iSilo or other formats which were optimized for the Palm. Even movies still look good, if you encode them properly and tweak your device.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Please excuse my bad manners; welcome to Brighthand, lukemjennings

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

You might find a few useful links on the TX Help page linked in my sig. Yes, welcome to Brighthand.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I still use my Palms for a few things. Blazer works (sort of); but most pages give the 'page too large' warning; but will load after you click that away. It becomes tiresome though.

I think where Palm went wrong was not integrating the phone and PDA functions faster and in a better way. The Treos were out there; but weren't quite 'there' yet. A TX or LifeDrive with a phone function would have been a blockbuster I think.

Mi An, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

How true.

Mi An, lelisa13p, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  8. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I can't remember if it was nWeb or WebPro that I used with my Palms... one was for regular PalmOS devices and the other was tweaked for the Tapwave Zodiac. They were essentially the same browser and worked fairly well when I Bluetooth-tethered my PDA to my phone. (That seems forever ago!)

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  9. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

Gotta laugh--I run PHEM on my LG G Stylo and the display looks pretty close to the same size as my Tungsten E's (but with Handspring Visor Deluxe-style resolution). Writing in Graffiti with the G Stylo's stylus brings back memories... so I bought Graffiti Pro for Android. :)

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

Welcome to Brighthand, lukemjennings!

As others have said, this is the right place if you want help with your Palm gear. I have a drawer full of it in my basement that I (sadly) haven't powered on in years. My collection includes a TX, a T|T, an m100-something, an m5-something and a few more. I sold my Treo 650 and I sole my Treo 700-something with extreme prejudice at a loss about a month after buying it. It had been badly Verizonized and I resolved to never again let a carrier fluke up any OS on any of my devices. That resolution didn't last long when I picked a Blackberry running Verizon's badly crippled BB OS 4.2.2.196 and later crippled OS 4.5-something which were also badly crippled by Verizon. When I got my iPhone I was at last out from under the shadow of the carriers and I don't think I'll ever go back. You'll find a lot of the users here at bh use Android with differing flavors of OS either direct from Google or jailbroken and heavily modded. It is clear Android is the OS of choice for those of us who came from PalmOS and enjoyed tinkering and iOS is the choice for those of us who want a "data toaster" with its OS and apps heavily curated.

This is something I WISH Palm had done after countless hours I wasted trying to figure out which rogue app was causing my TX hard-reset itself on a regular basis. I was driven into the arms of third party software developers who offered the ability to backup to SD card so I could restore without a trip to the dreaded USB cable. Now with iOS, I can reload a backup so quickly that often I buy a new iPhone and all my contacts and most of my apps are back on the phone before I leave the Apple store and all I did was simply log in after purchasing a virgin phone. One thing I wish I had done is pick up a PalmOS ROM so I could run one of those emulators but alas I slept that opportunity so the only way for me to relive my nostalgia is to charge up one of my old relics and play with it. I maintain the Palm (more recently HP Palm) devices list which is basically a non effort because nothing new has been released in many years now. I seem to recall the link is somewhere in my signature. I wish you the best of luck with your TX and I'm happy to help where I can but a lot of that data has fallen between the cracks of my long term memory.

scjjtt, jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.