PalmOS Developement Punch List

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by lukemjennings, Oct 3, 2015.

1. lukemjennings

lukemjennings Newbie

Okay, I'm reaching out to developers muster up interest on rebooting the platform. Here's my punch list for the TX.

1. [ ] Wifi, need this to work in mixed mode:
    I reached out to the developer at palm power ups to check interest. Also, I'm looking at the linux on palm folks that may be able to patch to current wifi stack. There's some chatter on http://l4p.hackndev.org/node/379 that makes me think that this is doable, there's always the puppy linux folks which I am a member of.

2. [ ] PDF. The PalmPDF works great but crashes if you give it a challenging PDF. My workaround has been to convert to .TIFF and view PDFs as images, using an overclocking tool for speed. This is boarderline closed, due to the workaround.

3. [ ] Microphone, Palm Dr. can take care of this.

4. [ ] Camera, again Palm Dr. may be able to help, not sure if this can be plugged into the IDIO of the palm, but it's worth a shot to ask.

5. [ ] Utility developers. This one is tricky, I could ask the linux folks to port over a few GNU utilities. I wonder if a modern Gmail, Skype, and Firefox could be dev'd. These devices have limited RAM, but why not try?

6. [ ] Cost. I'd love to think that dev's would come to the table for the love of the device but I understand that may not be reasonable, I could cover with a kick-starter or something like that.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

good luck with all of it...I say that, in large part, because the hardware just doesn't have the ooomph! it needs to do things right. the big problem is the memory allocation -- that may not be technically accurate, but the NVFS DB Cache (RAM) didn't have a large enough chunk, causing frequent out of memory conditions. There were work-arounds (other than doing a soft reset) but to the best of my knowledge, you couldn't run one of them as a DA (desk accessory -- an applet which could temporarily interrupt whatever was already running, like Blazer, do something, and then return to what was running )and clear cache to free up memory, which even if you could, would likely cause its own set of problems. looking at my TX, via one of those work-arounds (MemInfo), I see
    total size 13119 KB
    total free 12401 KB
    largest free chunk 8092 KB
    jumping forward to the 755p, the same app shows
    total size 17407 KB
    total free 16661 KB
    largest free chunk 14959 KB
    As a PDA, the 755p (Sprint version, which I never activated on Sprint) did not show the problems the TX did as far as memory problems.....

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I hate to say it, but I doubt you're going to get much dev support. There's so little out there in terms of Palm OS devices that still function well that I doubt there's much interest.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Most developers have sadly given up on the platform because they have bills to pay and the money is currently on android and apple ios. I can't really blame them.

There are still a ton of loyal palm users out there though.. you would be surprised how many refurbished palm PDAs I sell every month still, not to mention cables, batteries etc.
    I am pretty sad about FreewarePalm.com going down though. :( It was a huge resource.

My own site used to have a software directory script that I had custom developed in 2007-2009, when I was silly enough to think I could build an alternative marketplace for apps :).

But when a few years ago I upgraded php on the server the script broke and it didn't make sense for me to keep paying to fix it sadly.. which is why I currently only have a pretty sad cloud based storage drive of palm freeware here:
    https://files.secureserver.net/0fpfSpPCLepyEp

I'm currently working on a new site in tumblr that will be launching soon, and was planning to try to recreate a proper palm freeware directory, including the old software above but also adding new freeware every day or so.
    I could use the help though if anyone has some time to volunteer finding palm freeware, uploading it, creating a description and posting images on the tumblr blog i'm going to create. If anyone is interested in helping just PM me :). I'm willing to do it alone it will just take longer.

I think it's worth it since (1) there are still a lot of palm software users out there (me included) that still find value in it and (2) at the very least the files should be preserved for historical purposes, so kids can see how the early mobile world worked :).

I really like showing my kid my favorite palm games on an emulator in my phone :) and letting her compare it to her modern android apps.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  5. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Sorry for the winded post - basically I was trying to say I don't think getting new developers is that likely, but one or more retro freeware sites is very possible and might be rewarding.