Palm --> Win Mobile 6 Pro. Software recommendations please.

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by CEB, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thought I'd have one thread to ask for different software recommendations as I think of them. Hope that's okay.

I've moved from Palm Tungsten C to T-Mobile MDA Vario III (AKA Tilt/Kaiser) runing Windows Mobile 6 Professional (CE OS 5.2.1620 (Build 18125.0.4.2), whatever that means). Rom version 1.56.110.4. With 4GB MicroSDHC. I sync with Outlook 2000 on Win XP Home.

There are a few apps/features I miss from my Palm, and thought I'd ask the experts. Unfortunately, my budget is £0 or very close to £0.

I miss the Memos feature which allowed me to have text notes sorted by category, with syncing between PDA and PC.

What I miss most though is Documents to Go (purchased version) which allowed me to right-click a document on the PC and select 'Send' to D2G which would then sync them with the Palm. The PC documents could be scattered all over my PC hard drive, and D2G would keep track of them and sync any changes back and forth. Trying to put all these docs in one folder for sync with ActiveSync is not a viable option.

I was wondering if there was an application that would combine the two functions. If not, seperate ones would be fine. The D2G replacement must be compatible with Word and Excel, and I must be able to create such documents on the PDA for syncing to PC later. For the Memos/notes, I'm prepared to cut and paste them to another format. I have looked at Evernote (cue Silly Rabbit), but I can't have anything going into 'the cloud' so local would be the only option.

Thanks for reading.

2. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Why does this always happen to me? :( Guess what just popped into my Google Reader... A blog post about Evernote. Haven't got time to read it now, but here's the link to the blog, which contains other links to the quick start guide and user manual which I couldn't find earlier.

I'll read them as soon as I can find the time. Meanwhile, comments and suggestions for alternatives will be welcome :)

3. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Ok, so no suggestions for the software required above. How about this one...

I used Paswords Plus from Dataviz on my Palm. It has a desktop client that syncs with the handheld. It stores (and allows creation and editing) of passwords and PINs with a high degree on encryption, and required a master password to access the database.

Any replacement app would have to be capable of storing over 50 entries, and must have a notes section for each entry. My master pasword length will be between 20 and 60 characters, including letters and numbers (punctuation/symbols too would be a bonus).

Anyone know of such an app please. I am prepared to pay for it.

Thanks.

4. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Dataviz makes a version of Passwords Plus for Windows Mobile.

Also, I don't know for sure about your earlier issues, but there's also a Documents To Go version for WM, and a better word processor called Textmaker.

5. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Realy?! That would be excellent (apart from the high cost of their products) as there would be no new learning.

I did check their site but found nothing. Mind you, I went there in Mobile IE so I'll try again on the PC tomorrow.

Maybe they don't have a version for my phone. I guess I could try one for a different phone on a free trial.

Thanks.

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

7. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

I've been looking into this further. There is no version of Passwords Plus for Win Mobile, it's only on Palm platforms, or at least that's what I can see on the DataViz website.

I made an enquiry to DataViz, and they replied:

Passwords Plus is not compatible with Windows Mobile 5 or 6 devices.

We do have a version of Documents To Go for Windows Mobile Smartphone edition, but that is for the non-touch devices such as the Motorola Q. It will not work properly on a touchscreen device. We will have a touchscreen version at some point this year, but have no exact timeframe on this.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please refer to http://www.dataviz.com/eforms/feedback/generalfeedback.html if you would like to make a feature request. Our engineering and marketing groups review feedback submitted on the web on a weekly basis.

Regards,

James
    DataViz Technical Support

I will probably wait for Documents to Go, but I'm stuck for a replacement for Passwords Plus. It would be good if TrueCrypt was available on Win Mobile, but it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.