PALM Vx, SERIAL CRADLE and winXP

Discussion in 'Palm' started by aht313, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aht313

aht313 Newbie

I have a Palm Vx and winXP. I am using serial cradle. I still get the "can't establish connection" message. In my hotsync manager, I only have serial cradle checked (PDS 4.1) with settings at COM1 and speed to 9600. Now I am at loss on what to do. :(

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2

review your device manager/hardware listing and confirm that no other apps have control of comm1. Some XP installs will assign com1 to UPS power control? or even a modem.

After making any changes on the Hotsync setup, you should also, close the app, then manually open for the changes to take effect.

Desktop 4.1 also defaults the comm setting for "Local USB", make sure "Local Serial" is checked, at top portion of the Hotsync menu bar when selected in the system tray.

3. aht313

aht313 Newbie

Done those still the same error =)

4. BAB2000

Are you certain the Hotsync manager is available and monitoring the serial port?

If you open our Palm desktop app, check the tool bar, is the Hotsync manager fuctions available or are they greyed out?

Also, confirm the cradle is connected to the correct serial port. Most PC systems have 2 ports, but generally not marked as to which is comm 1 or comm 2.

Also make sure the serial ports are enabled in the system bios, many newer systems may set to off, since newr tech toys utilize USB and to avoid conflict if modem is in-built.

The serial function to XP is straight forward, to test physical connection, visit palmone/support site, there is procedure detailing method to test cradle via hyperterm utility on PC box.

5. adammc

adammc Newbie

i was wondering if you'd mind advising how you actually check those BIOS settings. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite with XP.

6. ticktwrter

ticktwrter Newbie

I fooled around with all these things and the one thing that worked was adding a serial card and plugging in to that. I don't know what caused the card to stop acting normally. The entire board is barely a month old and ws working fine up until last week.

7. BAB2000

Each system is different, but the answer to your question is most likely displayed whne you first turn on your unit.

To access many BIOS pressing the ESC key or F2, during powrup will direct the start up to viewing your system BIOS settings in CMOS. Others may require another keystroke combo, but most systems provide on bootup display in first 30 seconds of power up.

Regards

8. aht313

aht313 Newbie

Hello.

The hotsync options in the Palm Desktop Software aren't greyed out. And I know that my serial port is not disabled in my bios cause I was able to do a successful hotsync for one (1) day. But the next day, I wasn't able to sync. And I didn't touch anything.

9. BAB2000

This adds a different view.
    Windoes XP is more security minded than previous win platforms. Are you using the same user ID that you installed and performed the first hotsync under???

Have had same identical problem with staff installing users software and hotsync when they were in as administrators, then the next day the user can not access data or hotsync, "no connection errors". (IBM c500 with serial cradles and Vx models on upgraded XP or win2000 platforms)

Staff had to return to site, promote user to admin status, disable virus protect sw, and install. When completed then return user to prior setting, and all is right.
    Install crew now 4 hours behind:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.