Palm V froze

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ssanan, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssanan

ssanan Newbie

My Palm was working well till I downloaded a freeware and installed it (abacus). Once I clicked on that application, I got an error which said "Fatal Error" and my palm froze. It has the "Palm Computing Platform" logo on it and is not responding to any buttons.

I tried a software reset. Held the reset button for around 10 sec. Still does not work? Any clues? Any special ways of doing a reset?

2. imported_StevenGT

imported_StevenGT Moderate Superator

Try a warm reset (up button and reset) first, and if that doesn't work, do a hard reset (power button and reset). If the warm reset works, delete the offending app and do a soft reset to restore the start-up loadings.

3. ssanan

ssanan Newbie

Neither the warm nor the hard reset worked. Are they supposed to work immed. or should I wait for some time.

What are my options now?

4. hasst27

hasst27 Newbie

My plam Vx froze also

But my problem happened after me and my palm got rained down.

I did a soft reset, then warm reset and finally hard reset. After each reset, my Palm Vx froze at the "Palm Computing Platform" logo. I waited a couple of minutes between each reset, but nothing happened.

Please help:confused:

5. cural

cural Electronics Engineer

It is possible you're not doing the hard reset properly...

Try it again, and go it slowly so you don't make any mistakes, with the following method:
    Press both the power button and the reset button. Once you're sure you have both held in, release just the reset. Keep an eye on the screen, and wait until you see the Palm logo screen. Once you see that, wait a second or two, then let go of the power button. You should get the prompt to erase all data.
    If it isn't coming up for that, then the only thing I can think of is that the power button isn't working, or the contrast button is stuck.

Alan

6. hasst27

hasst27 Newbie

Yup tried it, and it worked.
    The reason why it didn't work before: the contrast button was stuck.

Thanks!!!

Hadi

7. cural

cural Electronics Engineer

Great! Glad to hear it! :)
    You'd be amazed how often one little button can mess up the whole Palm! :D

Alan

8. ssanan

ssanan Newbie

Thanks for the instructions on the hard reset. I will try it tonite and hopefully it should work. If the contrast button is stuck, how do I release it?

9. hasst27

hasst27 Newbie

Contrast button is located on the left hand side of the palm (opposite to the power button on the top side)

just try to nudge the contrast button so that it will be in the same level surface with the palm surface.

Hopefully this help.

Hadi

10. ssanan

ssanan Newbie

Thanks all of you for the complete instructions on reset and the contrast button. My contrast button was stuck too!! This is a wonderful forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.