Palm Updates Vista page; releases DST Patch, and OL 2007 Update!

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by WyreNut, Feb 21, 2007.

1. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

Palm released today some updated information about compatibility issues with Windows Vista, a Daylight Savings Time patch for both Palm OS devices and Windows Mobile devices, and also the Outlook 2007 Update!

The updated Windows Vista page:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/windowsvista/index.html

The Daylight Savings Time patch (for Palm OS and WinMob devices):

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/dst.html

The Outlook 2007 Update:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/outlook2007/outlook2007update.html

WyreNut

2. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

Now Palm has confused me after reading their work around for installing .prc and .pdb files in Vista. I have had good luck changing the file association of prc and pdb files from quick install to install tool application and have successfully installed new apps using this method through cable hotsync. Palm says the the Palm install tool is not compatible, but it has worked for me.

3. brendynj18

brendynj18 Mobile Deity

thanks for the office 07 and vista update... i would have never gotten those! im so happy!

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

What's the difference between using this patch and just changing the DST rules manually in the clock app. I notice it says that if you hard reset you have to reinstall the patch-- seems there is therefore no advantage to the patch.

Or am I missing something? (Not the first time... :rolleyes:)

5. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

I believe the patch changes things globally, whereas changing the settings manually adjust the dates for the individual time zones only.

For travelers who go to many times zones in the world, having to change all of them would be an immense hassle.

WyreNut

6. okaussie

okaussie Mobile Evangelist

It also mentions palm desktop 4.2 as well as 4.1.4e.

No information given.

So what's the scoop on 4.2???

TIA

Bill

7. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

It is listed as Vista functional. 4.2 is the version bundled with TX and Z22 and maybe newer Treo's.

8. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

Desktop 4.1.4e for windows was originally released as version 4.2, and I have read that the two versions are functionally equivalent. Just a version number change.

9. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

That is partially correct.
    The initial posting of 4.1.4E did indicate it was version 4.2, for about two days.

What is written is that 4.1.4E is not a enhanced version of 4.1.4, and that if you have 4.1.4 install, no advantage to install the "E" version.

The "E" version was intended to provide a Outlook conduits for the newer units with the EXTENDED fields, and not documented, intended to be installed on new installations only. The conduit manager when it installs will remove previous conduits detected, and will remove some function that may have been present and functional provided by the CD version bundled with your unit.

The version 4.2 is presently only included bundled with your newer handhelds, TX and Z22, and possibly the Treo680. This version includes the USB device drivers for correct connection and hotsync action when utilizing the cable/cradle method.

Please do not confuse the two because it was listed at some point under the wrong version scheme.

V4.1.4E should only be used on new installs and if Outlook conduits are required, and you have lost your CD, and be reminded it will not include your handhelds extra hotsync conduits, as Photo, Media, Drive Mode, etc, just the basics.

10. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

I confirm, 4.2 comes with 680.