Palm TX; Windows 7; 64bit HP laptop; synch failed.

Discussion in 'Palm' started by kelkinard, Jan 23, 2012.

1. kelkinard

kelkinard Newbie

Using Blue Tooth, I FINALLY got my Palm to communicate with my 64bit HP laptop, running Windows 7 :) and the conduit gets hung-up on the date book. The first Date Book synch is successful, then it gets hung on the second Date Book application. :(

:confused: There are, for some reason, TWO Date Books, TWO Address Books, TWO To Do Lists and TWO Memo Pads! Anybody have any idea why? and/or how to get rid of them?

The weirdest thing of all . . . it seems to have updated some of the data on my laptop, such as memos I just created. But the Synch gets stuck on the 2nd Date Book and never gets down to the TWO Memo Pad tasks!

Help, please! :newpalm:

2. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

3. kelkinard

kelkinard Newbie

I don't have duplicate "items" on my Palm, I am seeing duplicate "tasks" on the desktop when in the process of synchronization. It hangs on the 2nd date book task and never goes beyond that point.

FYI

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, kelkinard. :)

TX does not use Date Book, which is an older version used by older, pre-OS5 devices. TX uses Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memos.

To check this: After right-clicking the HotSync Manager icon in your system tray, choose Custom. From the list that appears, make sure that these 4 items are set to Synchronize. If you see Date Book, Address Book, To Do and Memo Pad make certain that those items are set to Do Nothing as the default setting. If you find that you need to make changes, highlite each item in turn, click on Change and in the resulting screen click on Do Nothing and then put a check in the box next to Set As Default. Click on Done and back your way out of the screens and click on Done to exit Custom.

If you don't see the newer PIM categories, you need to update your Palm Desktop. However, based on your narrative, I believe that you have both old & new PIMs; Palm Desktop included both because some users had to sync both types of devices (myself included.)

5. kelkinard

kelkinard Newbie

Thanks for the input so far. Unfortunately, I do have only the old PIMs, lelisa13p! I just downloaded the newest version of the Palm Desktop 6.2.2 software and it only shows Date Book, Address Book, To Do and Memo Pad, not the newer PIMs you mentioned. Now what?

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

The version of Palm Desktop 6.2.2 that you downloaded was not made by Palm but by Access, initially for Windows Vista, and is a stripped down version that was cobbled together. It has bare bones and is missing many of the features of the previous 4.x version that Windows XP (and earler) used. IIRC, v.6.2.2 is what you'll have to use for Windows 7.

Anyone who is familiar with Windows 7 and Hotsync with PD v.6.2.2, please jump in here. I run Win XP Pro on all of my PCs and don't have any hands-on with Windows 7.

Let's see if we can get some more help with this problem. Please stay tuned. :)

7. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Kelkinard, I think --Lelisa, correct me if I'm wrong-- that we are mixing up 2 things here. I think the PIMs in the Desktop app are still labeled Date Book, Address, etc. What Lelisa is referring to is the names of the conduits, which have the newer names.

8. kelkinard

kelkinard Newbie

Thanks for the help! I found an older version of Palm Desktop 4.2 and am trying to install that. When I synch, it is telling me the port is in use by another application. Not sure how to remedy this problem, but the Desktop software definitely looks like it has all the proper PIMs.

9. jamesbennetdotcom

jamesbennetdotcom Mobile Evangelist

Here is a tutorial that will help you:

I wrote it after getting my Palm III to sync with Desktop 6.2 under 64 bit - The III isnt supposed to support newer than 4.14 as it uses the old PIM format but I describe an app that lets you "trick" palm desktop into using a different PIM format.

James-Bennet.com

10. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

The port in use message is due to the TX not backing out of the previous bluetooth session. Try a soft reset when this happens. If this does not work try turning off the bluetooth radio and then turning it back on. I use a free program called networkdown for this problem. http://www.metaviewsoft.de/en/Software/PalmOS/Freeware/Other/NetworkDown.prc
    lelisa13p is correct about the desktop 6.2 not having all of the PIMs. It was written for the Vista operating system. The free software jamesbennetdotcom suggests on his site was specifically written so legacy palm devices could be used with the 6.2 desktop on the Vista operating system. The 6.2 unlike previous versions of palm desktop is missing the older PIMs also.
    I bluetooth hotsync and use pTunes with bluetooth from my laptop. I use a program that sets up a PPP connection to help with this called m-Router.