Palm TX transfering contacts to smartphone...possible?

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by Glennski, May 9, 2017.

1. Glennski

Glennski How Little I Know -Bucky

Hmmm. Some smart person on this forum knows the answer to this I am sure... I am in the process of transfering a bunch of stuff from my TX onto an Android.. Some stuff goes just fine via bluetooth, like simple jpgs. BUT... try transferring a contact and it's no go. I can transfer a contact to the smartyphone... but it won't open up as a true contact, it'll just appear as a downloaded .vcf and then when I tell go into my download file and ask my smartyphone to put it into an application (e.g. smartphone addresses file) it will just say download stopped.
    I'm having success bluetoothing simple things from the TX. And I can bring in .vcf's from my old phone. But nopes, cannot bring in vcf's from Palmie.

Somewhat related, would anyone like to share a list of the useful things they saved from their TX days and brought over to their smartphone? I am still planning on using the pda function of the smartphone, it is a true personal digital assistant and highly organized. Thanks everyone!

r0k likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Do you want to keep syncing things to your desktop or do you just want a one shot move them over? There are a few possibilities. Lets try cheap and easy first. Are you using Palm Desktop right now (and is it up to date)? If the answer to both parts of that question are true, you have a couple of good options.

Also let us know what Android device and what OS.

I'll wait for these answers before formulating my suggestions.

r0k, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  3. Glennski

Hi Hook! Let's see. Android version is 6.0.1. Palm Desktop is working and syncs OK if that is what you mean by up to date. Got the Palm desktop software disk from Shortronics just awhile back. Android device is an LGL56VL. I guess to answer your question I'd like to continue syncing with the desktop to palm, but do want the convenience of haviing contacts on the smartyphone as well. I'd like to try moving a lot of stuff over (in addition to just contacts) to see how it works in the smartphone environment, if that makes sense. On the fence as usual! thx

r0k likes this.
  4. Hook

Okay. let's start out simply. There is one possibility for easy and free getting contacts onto your Android from Palm Desktop. It is a one off because it depends on software that expires after 14 days. That software is expensive, but the fully functional trial is free and the PIM software for the phone is free.

You install Companionlink on Windows and install a free PIM suite on Android called Deja Office. You can then set up Companionlink to sync from Palm Desktop to your Android and everything --Calendar, contacts, tasks and notes-- will show up in Deja Office. After two weeks, Companion Link goes away, but Deja Office is free forever. No syncing, but free and easy.

You could, of course, buy Companionlink and keep syncing to Palm desktop, but I'm guessing you don't need that right now as your TX is primary.

As for other things you want to move from Palm to Android, you are going to have to be specific. What data from what program do you want to move over? What formats are available for exporting the data.

5. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Hey, glennski! I agree with Hook regarding CompanionLink & DejaOffice. I've found them both to be very reliable. As Hook mention, CompanionLink is pricey but, for my use, has been worth every cent.

Good luck with you migration!

scjjtt, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  6. Glennski

Thanks Hook and jrakes! I do have some limited experience with Companionlink and will jump right on it, can't believe I'd forgotten about it! To answer Hook's question, I'm mainly interested in getting the contacts first, then some things like the app Tasks, & the calendar, the app Memos, and eventually luxury items like the collection of books in e-reader.

I'm either on the fence or very sceptical that there is a better organizer than my TX ya see

r0k, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 1 other person like this.
  7. Hook

Which is fine. Continue as long as you can and, as long as Chris Short is out there, that may be a long time indeed. That's why I just suggested using the trial of Companionlink to move your PIMs to Deja Office once and then just manually add updates.

There are two possibilities to investigate for moving on that come close for when you are ready move everything to Android and sync with you desktop. One is Companionlink, the other is Pimlical. I think Pimlical can still migrate the data from Palm Desktop, but you should research it. I never used Palm Desktop. I always used Outlook with my Palms. A year ago I weaned myself completely from MS Office, which is why I ended up with Pimlical instead of Companion Link (I chose to go to the newer program rather than try Palm desktop after all this time).

Nothing wrong with keeping the old TX going. :newpalm:

8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Serious question, how do you transfer stuff (jpegs, etc.) with Bluetooth from Palm to Android?

r0k likes this.
  9. Glennski

It's all good! :)
    OK I did get the full version of Companionlink purchased and without much fuss set it up to take all my Palm Desktop stuff and throw it over to Google. Then lo and behold the smartyphone now has all the Palm's contacts, and it can dial them too, something of course Palmie cannot do.

The things I like the most about the Palm TX is its core suite of "personal digital assistant" support. I actually like Graffiti and have all the stickers on my Palm case so I can use the special characters. Graffiti is just so much faster to write stuff down when you are on the go, eh? I like Palm's task lists too and its calendar reminder system. The big question is, is Palm *really* a superior PDA to a smartphone? For keeping organized.

I'm very interested in what the Brighthanders think of this question!

Guess I'll stay on the fence for awhile & enjoy the best of both worlds (Palm and Android). thx again

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  10. Glennski

Hi Edmund Dantes,
    jpegs aren't too hard, it required some monkeying around with the bluetooth settings, getting each device to recognize the other one first, that seemed the hardest part. Then you tell Palm to send via bluetooth. Jpegs are the only thing I've been able to send from one device to the other via bluetooth. Contacts don't work via bluetooth if you want full functionality such as the ability to dial them. hope this helps.

RickAgresta likes this.