Palm tx reboots when email button pushed

Discussion in 'Email/Messaging (Palm OS)' started by sward, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sward

sward Newbie

I have a palm tx that has been working fine. I sync two different pop3 email accounts either thru a cradle or via wifi and have not had a problem except for the occasional re-boot. Now when I try to access email the tx reboots within less than a sec after the email view comes up. I tried using dbfixit but that did not seem to have any utility for dealing with email. Any ideas?

thanks,

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

sward, welcome to Brighthand!

What email application do you use.

How do you use it? email over WiFi? Outlook syncing? PD syncing?

3. sward

sward Newbie

On my PC I use outlook. On the palm it is versamail, not sure which version since I can't open mail on the palm.

When I am out of the office, I use wifi to "get" messages. I typically don't send messages because the way my work email system is setup it will not allow pass thru when I am on another network. When I am at work I use the hot sync thru a cradle to update mail, tasks, contacts, docs, etc.

4. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hello sward, Welcome to Brighthand :D:D:D

Most likely corrupt preferences.
    I recommend the 'act-as-if-you-upgrade' approach.

Backup to SD card, hard reset device, rename backup folder under Palm folder tree on your computer, sync again using old id.

5. sward

sward Newbie

I was able to delete the email accounts then add them back and that seems to work. Thanks for the help.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

That seems to be something of a common problem with Versamail. I haven't seen this issue in quite some time with my TX or 755p, but deleting the email accounts and adding them back in is exactly the right approach. Glad it worked! :)

7. Gage

Gage Old Man Dos

I have a Treo 755p with Verizon - using their Wireless Sync. I'm also getting a reboot when I try to open an email (tho can reply and send without problem). I tried deleting the account and entering it anew. No change. Any ideas?

8. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hello Gage, Welcome to Brighthand :D:D:D

You might have to go a step further.
    Act-as-if-you-upgrade is what the doctor might subscribe.

1- make a copy of your device on SD card using NVBackup or any other SD card backup program of your choice. This is for safety but I will say you HAVE to do this.
    2- hard reset your device
    3- rename your back folder on your desktop environment to backup_old
    4- sync again, select your old ID
    5- all data will be transferred back but no settings nor programs (not 100% sure about versamail databases but I guess they too will not be transferred)
    6- recreate your account in versamail.

Be aware at this point you left behind all info currently stored in Versamail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.