Palm TX Keyboard Crash Investigation

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by Glennski, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Glennski

Glennski How Little I Know -Bucky

Hello out there Brighthanders! (wind whistling)... HELLO!!! (leaves rustling)... anyone home and how ya all DOING!?? (waving both arms)

OK. Here's a question about the Palm TX and its infrared quirkiness. I have noticed sometimes the software that operates the Palm's keyboard (the "Universal Wireless Keyboard") goes haywire and crashes the little unit repeatedly. I am thinking that whenever the Palm does some "beaming" that it screws up the keyboarding software. Is this likely, and is it likely that a simple "turning off" of the keyboard software BEFORE any beaming action is done would help this situation (I will experiment with this tactic next time this happens of course...)? What I have been doing is completely reinstall the keyboard software again and again. I guess I don't understand enough about how the whole IR thing works. Thanks to all! Cheers, gski

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Did you try a soft reset after beaming? I've never run into this problem, but then I didn't do a lot of beaming. What exactly do you mean "crashes the little unit?" I'm assuming you mean the TX crashes? Crashes how? What is the behavior you are describing?

scjjtt likes this.
  3. Glennski

Thanks Hook. Hmm. After a day of testing I'm thinking it doesnt have to do with beaming. o_OThe symptom of crashing is this. When I go to make *any* changes to the setup of the Keyboard program, the Palm TX makes a clickkk clickkk clickkk and then goes to reset itself. I can then do various things like soft reset etc., but only the complete removal of Keyboard program and reinstall will restore things. In the meantime I've also tentatively decided to just leave the Keyboard program on a power save and leave it running always. :DWhich apparently does not use that much juice if you use the maximum power save mode(?) This is a kind of weird workaround though. :confused:I've sworn off beaming and find I still get this type of crash. BUT I do not apparently get any crash if I use just leave this software "on." The only reason I wanted to shut down that software is I'm under the impression it uses battery life. Maybe not if it's on power save? And BTW anyone know: what does Powersave mean when it says "IrDa will be released after 2 mins":eek: Cheers! gski

4. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

You could try using Crash Pro to see what is causing the crash but I don't know how well it works because I have never needed to use it.
    The author made the Pro version free a while back but the links go nowhere now. I downloaded a copy and have a registration code, I can't remember if the code was only for my user name or for all.
    In the ZIP is CrashPro Reg#.txt with the code, try that and see what happens

All the best, woz of oz

Attached Files:

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  5. Glennski

Sorry for the tardy reply. First thanks to everybody for the ideas in response. A sort of update is it no longer crashes but the keyboard software sometimes just does not work, so I end up re-installing it from scratch, then it works for a little while, then when I start a new session the keyboard softward does not work and so I reinstall it again. Naturally this is frustrating and also too bad, since using a Palm TX with a keyboard is fun to do! Cheers to all!

6. DTM

DTM ---

Ah-ha! The "Three Stooges" problem. (That's what someone called it in a thread years ago.) You try to turn the keyboard software on, and it just turns itself off. Turn on, turn off. Turn on, turn off. Reinstall, and it works for a while, then it happens again. Reinstall.... Drove me nuts for months when I had a TX. Found out you can just do a soft restart and it will work again. Until it randomly stops working again. Is that what you have? There's no cure, but if it's any consolation, someone figured out what causes it.

Believe it or not, it's this: if the unit is sleeping and you press the center select button, the screen comes on briefly to display the time and date. After that, the Three Stooges problem shows up and won't go away until you reset the device. I can't begin to imagine how those two are connected, but they are. Even more, I can't begin to imagine how the guy figured that out.

Hook, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thanks, jig, for that (linked) stroll down Memory Lane. It was delightful. :newpalm:

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. Glennski

Aha. Thanks! I usually use one of the non-power buttons to turn the thing on and off. Trying to save wear and tear on the power button. Since I don't intend to go back to using the power button to wake it up (its because they wear out)... then I can do is say nyuk nyuk nyuk, I guess!

10. DTM

DTM ---

Good idea. I rarely used the power button, for the same reason. I'd usually use one of the app buttons to turn it on, and let it time out to turn off. Of course, by the time I sold mine, the app buttons were starting to wear out.

RickAgresta likes this.