Palm TX Full Backup?

Discussion in 'Palm TX' started by dnaman, Feb 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dnaman

dnaman Mobile Enthusiast

Is it possible to transfer the full contents of a Palm-TX to a new, empty Palm-TX?

By this I mean everything, including the data aps themselves and even perhaps the OS. I guess what I'm envisaging is to somehow do a full backup of the old TX and then a restore from backup to the new TX.

The sort of thing you'd do these days for an iPad or similar when you get a new one.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, it's possible to do full backup of user-installed apps and data. There is no point in doing a backup of the OS, as every TX has the exact same OS version - no OS update was ever released for this model. There are several apps that can do this, but the best IMO is NVBackup. You can get this app from
    Hook's Palm TX Help Links for Brighthand. To do a backup, install NVBackup, insert an SD card, then run the program and follow instructions. You can install NVBackup on the SD card (I think the app itself gives you this option, but I'm not sure), then to restore to the new TX just insert the same SD card, run the app, and follow restore instructions. After the restore, the second TX will be an exact copy of the first one.

wozofoz, Mi An, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Excellent advice for making a clone. :thumbsup: I cloned a second TX in the same manner, to use as a backup device. I use BackupMan (developer site is gone now), but the result is the same. (I also run NVBackup nitely since you're only as good as your last backup. :vbsmile: ) Your passwords and purchase codes should all transfer, too.

4. dnaman

dnaman Mobile Enthusiast

Oh joyful day! This is exactly what I was hoping for. I still use my TX daily (even though I have iPads, iPods, iPhone) and it's showing it's age. I just found a source for a brand new one but I really don't want to have to re-install everything ... even if I could find all the aps.

Thanks a bunch raspabalsa and lelisa13p !

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Let us know how it goes. :vbsmile:

wozofoz, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  6. dnaman

dnaman Mobile Enthusiast

OK. It'll be a little while since the new TX is in (slow) shipping.

wozofoz, lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

By the way, you can get very nice refurbed TXs or refurb one of your old ones with Chris Short, Palm Dr, linked on my web site. And they are very fast shipping. :vbwink: Highly recommended around here. :newpalm: Just for future reference.

wozofoz, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  8. dnaman

dnaman Mobile Enthusiast

It went well - kinda ....

I thought I might be able to format the card in a PC and just copy the NVBackup.prc onto it and run it directly from there. So I did that, popped it in the old TX and discovered that I couldn't find the file on the card. I did however find a copy on the basic TX device itself.

So, I thought that either I must have already had the file from way back, or it automatically copied itself from the card (as you can see I'm a bit green at this - never used the memory card much).

In any event, I did the backup and everything went fine.

Onto the new machine. Put in the card; can't find NVBackup.prc either on the card or on the basic device. Umm ....

So I removed the card and did a sync with the new device to the old device's sync files using the same user name. When I checked, this in fact, restored all my apps and databases and would probably have been sufficient on its own (all scores in solitaires were up to date for example). However, I now also had NVBackup.prc on the device and, since I'd made the backup I thought I may as well use it.

And it worked fine and rebooted without incident. The only discrepancy I've found is that I had to re-enter my ISP login password to get email. Don't really understand that if it's a full backup.

So thanks again and sorry it's a bit long .... but you did ask :)

lelisa13p, raspabalsa and wozofoz like this.